Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:34:32 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Steve Jobs attacks Adobe Flash as unfit for iPhone  (Read 10237 times)
ABoretz
god of all robots

« on: April 30, 2010, 05:34:43 pm »

"NEW YORK – For iPhone users who've been wondering whether their devices will support Flash technology for Web video and games anytime soon, the answer is finally here, straight from Steve Jobs: No."  http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100429/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_apple_adobe

ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:20:57 pm »

"NEW YORK – Adobe is firing back at Apple with love.

"Adobe Systems Inc. is countering Apple Inc. CEO Steve Jobs' recent jab at Adobe's Flash technology for Web video and games...."

jmortimeruk
little robot

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 08:01:59 pm »

Steve Jobs is right - Flash has always been buggy and always will be, due to the very nature of the product (it is now made by Adobe after all - their software was always just as buggy as Macromedia's).  Flash developers are two a penny these days and many of them will not be professional programmers, thus they will introduce their own scripting bugs on top of the ones already present in the unreliable Flash player.  Before anyone jumps on me for saying that, I have tried developing with Flash and found it to be inconsistent and unreliable, some things that should have worked simply did not, such as playing back a basic sound file (I'm quite sure this was due to a bug in the Flash Player of the time, pretty unforgivable really).

Steve Jobs just wants reliability for his products and I don't blame him.  Flash is not a standard and it's not an essential technology (unlike http or email), he is not required to support it.  Perhaps he will be doing the world a favour by snapping people out of this strange addiction they seem to have to Flash.

I realise that Machinarium is programmed in Flash, but it could equally have been programmed in a proper language such as C++ and would probably have been better for it too.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 08:08:18 pm by jmortimeruk » Logged
Familiar Gnome
little robot

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 07:29:12 am »

(it is now made by Adobe after all - their software was always just as buggy as Macromedia's)

Actually, Flash was a Macromedia product. It was purchased, bugs and all, by Adobe.

Personally I begrudgingly started learning JQuery after that announcement by Jobs. I now tend to agree, Flash is indeed inferior.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: