Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:35:56 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a bug ?????? [crossed wires in The Furnace Room]  (Read 34189 times)
ASLPLAY
little robot

« on: November 15, 2011, 11:59:59 pm »

I am in the room with a carrier in the ceiling. And something is wrong.

This is from the official walkthrough:

As soon as the carrier picks you up click the arrow so that you jump on the shelf spot on the left door. Click on the panel and use the metal key on it. Use the panel and switch the top part so that you will have Black, Red, Black and Red from the left. Go down and click on the spark near the cart. Invert the wires as black with red and red with black. Click on the right panel near to call the crane and go straight into the cart and when the crane carries you to the right side, click on the tube on top of the right door.

And this is my problem:

When I inverted the wires, the carrier began to move the opposite way around. But I did not manage to get off at the right moment.

After a while, I close the game.

A day later I resume the game, but the carrier now goes the opposite direction, regardless of how I connect the wires.

Is this a bug Huh

I am very frustrated about this. Angry
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 11:18:48 pm by Alex » Logged
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 04:52:36 am »

Nope, not a bug.

Look carefully at the walkthrough for that level:  Furnace Room

And the next time you have any trouble on some future level you can peek at ALL the walkthroughs here on this forum:  All Walkthrough images

ASLPLAY
little robot

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 01:51:34 pm »

The walkthrough image for the furnace room does not show anything about the spark and how to invert the wires that are damaged.

The wires, I am talking about in my post, are the damaged wires. Not the wires in the panel above the left door.

And the problem is not that the carrier goes the wrong way after I inverted these wires - because it does not. The problem is that after resuming the game, the carrier only moves the "wrong" way around.
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 11:18:07 pm »

Quote from: ASLPLAY

The walkthrough image for the furnace room does not show anything about the spark and how to invert the wires that are damaged.

You're correct.  Sorry, I forgot to check whether the walkthrough image showed the "spark".

Here's what you should have done on the platform:

Here's what you did:

The designers figured out a fail-safe in case players cross BOTH wires:

That's where you'll find the "spark" and once you switch those wires the machine should work correctly.

Spoiler image

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 08:33:56 am by Alex » Logged
Shad0WeN
little robot

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 02:59:02 am »

some careful observation & a very basic understanding of electronics definitely help with solving the furnace room, as this one seems to give a lot people trouble

• notice how the yellow and blue wires run up the wall on the left, through the wiring box, and to the ceiling, where there are 2 symbols that seem to indicate that the blue wire controls the horizontal movement of the crane and the yellow wire the vertical movement
  • once you open the box with the controls you can figure out by experimentation that the crane can be programmed with 3 actions that execute consecutively each time the red button is pressed

knowing those things you can then deduce (with the proper timing) how to get up on the ledge on the upper left. once inside in the wiring box you just need to swap the configuration of the wires so that red goes to black and vice-versa on the BLUE TERMINALS ONLY so that you can reverse the direction of the crane. if you mess it up and swap the wires on both sets of terminals then it basically just adds an extra step to the puzzle by having the yellow wire (again, controls vertical movement) break where you can still reach it (because due to the wiring configuration you can no longer get up to the ledge), and thus be able to fix the problem. all you have to is swap the wires once again ("red to black" or "black to red", you have no other choice), which effectively undoes the changes you made to the yellow terminals in the wiring box on the ledge. then the crane behavior is modified and it's just a matter of repeating what you did to get up on the ledge before, except this time on the other side
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: