Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:41:53 pm

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: GOG.com Pre-order and Humble Bundle debate topic  (Read 50423 times)
Roman5
little rusty robot

« on: April 19, 2012, 09:12:14 pm »

First you partner up with GOG

Then you make GOG advertise your game heavily and make a huge deal out of "PREORDER GAME ON GOG.COM NOW!"

Then, on the DAY OF THE FUCKING RELEASE you make the game available in a bundle, that you can buy for a cent

So not only were YOU COMPLETE DICKHEADS to GOG, you also completely backstabbed the people who pre-ordered your game from GOG.COM

This is fucking unbelievable, I can't believe Amanita would go this low

Suck my dick and eat my shit, you are NEVER getting a cent from me, ever

MODEDIT: Changed the topic title to be more "constructive"
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:33:29 pm by popsUlfr » Logged
popsUlfr
Global Moderator
black cap brotherhood boss

Houndeye

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:39:10 pm »

Here I was hoping we could discuss/debate this issue in a civil and mature manner, looks like I was wrong. It's never too late to voice your opinion, concerns if they are constructive however instead of being actively hostile about it.
Spellbreaker
little robot

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 10:05:08 pm »

Even if I would choose other words, I really don't understand how a company can act this way. I'd never do that. I mean, hello, it's release day and now all $9,99 customers see they can get the game for 1ct if they want without any notice to them. I'm pretty sure you'll lose some customers.
Mildare
little robot

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 10:08:16 pm »

I came here to say exactly this, and I agree with the sentiment exposed in this topic. It may not be exactly euphemistic, but what Amanita did is not exactly the best thing ever done by a company. It is, in fact, a very low blow. I wanted to make a topic concerning the GOG.com issue, but I'm glad smebody else did

*expresses rage*
Orkwisz
little robot

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 10:09:27 pm »

c'mon guys, should I play my violine ?!

yeah sure, they will do lose some... just customers but not the supporters. Of course the question is what the relation between two. From the other hand you paid those 10$ or euros for the pre-order, now spending 1c more you can have the rest- it;s still very good deal isn't it? or you are kind of customers who could pay just 1c if they could?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:14:16 pm by Orkwisz » Logged
garryengly
little rusty robot

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 10:12:40 pm »

I signed up as well to express the same concerns. Whilst I don't think such language is necessary we need to vote with our wallets instead.

This was the first purchase from Amanita Design and sadly I think it will be my last. And not because I spent 9 dollars at GoG and could have bought it for 1 cent from Humble Bundle. I would have still paid 9 dollars on HumbleBundle (probably more) just to get the FULL soundtrack and also the steam keys (I like to keep all my games on Steam). I would have waited for the bundle however I never knew it was coming and I was under the assumption that GoG was the best way to get it.

This is going to generate massive negative press for your company.

But on that note people please don't be aggressive to the mods (they have no control over it as they are just fans as us).
gnubelebung
little robot

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:13:31 pm »

According to the GOG terms of use, you can get some sort of refund, i.e. a different game of the same or lesser value (the preorder value), if you did not attempt to download it already.
divit
black cap brotherhood member

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 11:14:25 pm »

As for screwing over GOG it might be worth noticing that "GOG.com" has donated $300, so maybe they don't mind. I guess that could be anybody though.

Do any of the pre-orderers actually feel cheated now they know that they could have waited and bought the game for a cent (ignoring steam keys/soundtracks/other games and prices in between, I'm trying to be very specific)? Surely if you think its worth that little you'd just wait till you can pirate it?
gnubelebung
little robot

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 11:23:05 pm »

Do any of the pre-orderers actually feel cheated now they know that they could have waited and bought the game for a cent (ignoring steam keys/soundtracks/other games and prices in between, I'm trying to be very specific)? Surely if you think its worth that little you'd just wait till you can pirate it?

I can only speak for myself, but that is not the reason at all. I preordered on GOG because I liked Amanita's previous games and wanted to support them, but out of the blue they released a better package on the very same day. The Humble Bundle has above-average bonuses, Kooky and Windowsill, which sound quite interesting. But those who preordered on GOG either miss out on those or pay twice -- and that's just not a cool signal.
iglock
citizen robot

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 11:24:33 pm »

Humble Bundles are never announced in advance of going on sale.

Maybe they should be in the future, as I'll agree that in this case I'm sure a lot of people would have rather purchased from the Humble Bundle than gog.com.

However, whining and swearing because you pre-ordered the game for $8.99 on gog.com, when now "you can buy it for a cent" is idiotic.

No one forced you to pre-order the game, it was your own choice. Yes it may well have been better to know beforehand about the Humble Bundle, but like I said- Humble Bundles have never been announced in advance.

Also, the idea that Amanita are being "COMPLETE DICKHEADS to GOG" is ridiculous.

They are allowing gog.com to distribute their games, which is beneficial for both gog.com and Amanita. Also, gog.com most likely also knew that Botanicula would be in the Humble Bundle and obviously have no problems with it (check out the 2nd top contributor for the bundle. Hint- it's gog.com with $300).

...and honestly, if you were going to buy the bundle for 1 cent- why not just pirate it? 1 cent will most likely not even cover the bandwidth cost of downloading the games.

Even if you want to buy both the gog.com and humble bundle versions, it would only cost you about $18 at most (compare that to the price of almost any other game).

Both the gog.com and humble bundle versions (and even the version on Amanita's store itself) are incredible value in terms of the amount of entertainment and enjoyment you get per dollar compared to the majority of other games.

In my opinion this is really not something worth getting angry about.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:27:11 pm by iglock » Logged
divit
black cap brotherhood member

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 11:35:58 pm »

I can only speak for myself, but that is not the reason at all. I preordered on GOG because I liked Amanita's previous games and wanted to support them, but out of the blue they released a better package on the very same day. The Humble Bundle has above-average bonuses, Kooky and Windowsill, which sound quite interesting. But those who preordered on GOG either miss out on those or pay twice -- and that's just not a cool signal.

I can see how Amanita screwed up and why you'd be angry, I was mainly wondering if anyone who pre-ordered would have payed 1 cent for the bundle if the pre-order hadn't happened. Speaking of which it seems GOG buyers are getting the "soundtrack, artbook and machinarium for the preorders" tomorrow, but not Kooky, Samorost or Windowsill. Source here, apparently quoting amanita's facebook, but it turns out I can't find my way around facebook...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:42:43 pm by divit » Logged
FatMat
little robot

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 11:45:21 pm »

Same for me. I'm pretty disappointed. I've bought the previous amanita's games, even machinarium soundtrack LP. And I preordered on GOG since it looked like the only way to play the game. But I will have to pay gain the humble bumble I if want to watch Kooky with my kids... Confusing customers doesn't seem fair.
Qaz
little rusty robot

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 11:50:01 pm »

Pretty much this. It's not that I might have gotten the game for cheaper but that for the same money Humble Bundle offers more. I'm not a huge fan of exclusive pre-order bonuses, but actually receiving less when you pre-order is just wrong. (Allthough there is some extra artwork to download with the GOG release, and Amanita has announced at https://www.facebook.com/Botanicula, that GOG.com pre-orderers receive full soundtrack, the art-book (not released yet) and Machinarium for free.)

So, all in all, feeling cheated is putting it bit strong, but there's certainly some room for improvement on how the release was handled.

No to mention, if I had purchased it from Humble Bundle for the amount that I payed at GOG, Amanita's cut would probably have been larger.
Siannah
little rusty robot

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 12:09:18 am »

Really bad move from Amanita. Way to screw your reputation guys, not to mention paying customers...

I didn't pre-order, but thought about getting it full price once the first feedbacks/reviews where available. I wouldn't mind seeing a price-drop or even a bundle in a month or so, but on release date excluding those who pre-ordered?
For those who think this is about the amount of money someone put down - think again. It's not about the money. It's about taking advantage of every store that was willing to carry and promote their game for them as well as all paying customers who pre-ordered, then giving them the middle finger on release date.
That's NOT how you run a business.

While I completely disagree with the opening posters wording, I also had two suggestions for the GOG.com team put down on their forum:
1. Ask Amanita why they even went that road, putting Machinarium (which was on sale several times) and Botanicula (sale on release + full soundtrack) on GOG.com.
2. In case of a unsatisfactory answer - tell them to get lost and drop them. Fast.

I'm fully aware, that apparently the 3 songs demo will be upgraded to the complete soundtrack + art book and what not for the GOG.com version. However, this is damage control, nothing else - which is pretty much prove enough, who screwed up.

Yes, I just bought the HumbleBundle with all money going to charity. Nada for devs and no humble tip. I will however support GOG.com with my money this weekend - I may be in the minority, but I DO vote with my money Amanita.

Also, the idea that Amanita are being "COMPLETE DICKHEADS to GOG" is ridiculous.

They are allowing gog.com to distribute their games, which is beneficial for both gog.com and Amanita. Also, gog.com most likely also knew that Botanicula would be in the Humble Bundle and obviously have no problems with it (check out the 2nd top contributor for the bundle. Hint- it's gog.com with $300).
The GOG team had no idea about this stunt. Check for yourself here: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/release_botanicula/post8

How is it beneficial for GOG.com to distribute Amanita's games, they way it was handled here? Not at all. Which is the disturbing thing about it.

Machinarium is up for $9.99 which was on countless sales before, with Humble Bundle #2 and #3 among them. About everybody or at least 98% who wanted it, already have it. Not much happening here at all, but nice to have it covered.
Now Botanicula is also up for $9.99, but everybody who wants it can get it for a lot less. Taking Steam as a "do want" in account, it's 50% for three games compared with only the newest game for $9.99 - yes, that is absolutely and without a doubt RIDICULOUS to even think GOG.com will sell a lot of those.....

Anybody can come up with a HumbleBundle username like "Notch", "gog.com" or "Marilyn Monroe". This certainly isn't any prove at all.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:14:45 am by Siannah » Logged
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 03:14:54 am »

I'm fully aware, that apparently the 3 songs demo will be upgraded to the complete soundtrack + art book and what not for the GOG.com version. However, this is damage control, nothing else - which is pretty much prove enough, who screwed up.
Following this up...
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/20/amanita-sorry-to-botanicula-pre-orders-give-free-stuff/
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: