Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:09:59 pm

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: linux: first that horrible adobe air installer und botanicula even doesn't run,  (Read 62691 times)
titusAF
citizen robot

« on: April 19, 2012, 11:06:06 pm »

Hi,

on linux, I'm forced to install that abomination that is called "Adobe Air",
in an abandoned version, because Adobe stopped caring for Air under linux;
it really is time to use someting else, guys. Pretty Please?

That Air Installer uses three times the space of the game just to install it,
and it takes a long time on a quite modern system.

Well, and now it doesn't run, I only get the options screen and then darkness,
no error message anywhere, strace shows that it just hangs there.

I don't care about AdobeAir and I don't want to fight against it's obscure library dependencies.

What now?

Please find another container for your game, this is absolutely horrible.

Apart from that, Thanks for your wonderful games,
  Jörn
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:14:14 pm »

Jörn,

You didn't even tell us what version of Linux you're running before you started bitching.

What do you expect us to do with THAT turd?

~A

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:21:13 pm by Alex » Logged
titusAF
citizen robot

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:29:05 pm »

OK, Alex, thanks for replying

It is

kubuntu 11.10, 64bit, KDE 4.7.4

I installed Adobe Air 2.6, which is the latest and last version for linux.

Will any other information be helpful?

An "strace" didn't give me any hint of what the problem might be.

Well, anyway, Thanks again,
  Jörn

okay, thanks Jörn, we have mods that can now work with that info and get back to you...  ~Alex

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:32:59 pm by Alex » Logged
titusAF
citizen robot

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 11:34:37 pm »

OK, thanks again, that was a fast reply!

I will continue to find the problem, too, although it's getting late here Smiley

Greetings,
  Jörn
eriktorbjorn
little robot

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 11:46:59 pm »

I'm having a bit of trouble with Adobe AIR 2.6 too when trying to install it on the unstable (*) version of Debian, on a 32-bit Intel CPU, using Xfce as my desktop environment. It tells me that "Adobe AIR could not be installed. Install either Gnome Keyring or KDE KWallet before installing Adobe AIR." but doing that either didn't make any difference, or I did it wrong. It's hard to tell since there are no other diagnostic messages.

So I'm stumped for the moment. It's getting close to midnight here, so I'll have to try it again later when I'm feeling more alert. Machinarium ran beautifully, so I haven't given up hope yet.

(*) So it's partly my own fault, I know, but it usually works pretty well.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:02:10 am by eriktorbjorn » Logged
titusAF
citizen robot

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 11:57:08 pm »

This page tries to help with the needed libraries:

http://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/packages-required-run-air-2.html

And I have these:

i   ia32-libs
  i A ia32-libs-multiarch     

installed, as noted in

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11344792
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:01:39 am by titusAF » Logged
popsUlfr
Global Moderator
black cap brotherhood boss

Houndeye

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 12:01:15 am »

I'm having a bit of trouble with Adobe AIR 2.6 too when trying to install it on the unstable
  • version of Debian, on a 32-bit Intel CPU, using Xfce as my desktop environment. It tells me that "Adobe AIR could not be installed. Install either Gnome Keyring or KDE KWallet before installing Adobe AIR." but doing that either didn't make any difference, or I did it wrong. It's hard to tell since there are no other diagnostic messages.
Is gksu installed on your system? It's the graphical feedback interface for su and sudo and without it you might not get the password prompt.
titusAF
citizen robot

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:06:20 am »

@eriktorbjorn maybe this is helpful for your case?:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/87447/how-can-i-install-adobe-air
Wise Ferret
little rusty robot

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 12:17:54 am »

I'm having a bit of trouble with Adobe AIR 2.6 too when trying to install it on the unstable
  • version of Debian, on a 32-bit Intel CPU, using Xfce as my desktop environment. It tells me that "Adobe AIR could not be installed. Install either Gnome Keyring or KDE KWallet before installing Adobe AIR." but doing that either didn't make any difference, or I did it wrong. It's hard to tell since there are no other diagnostic messages.
I suffer from the same problems with gnome on ubuntu precise 64-bit. I have gksu, ia32-libs and ia32-libs-multiarch:i386 installed (no tool called "getlibs" in there, though). Amanita, can't you just get rid of Adobe AIR instead of forcing us to struggle with a buggy platform that is not even supported anymore?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:22:36 am by Wise Ferret » Logged
titusAF
citizen robot

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 12:21:47 am »

good news everyone:

it now runs here, Grin

unfortunately, I didn't install anything additional or manipulated any library sym link or similar.

I restarted my X-Server and I traced "BotaAIRlinux" once with "strace -ff".

other actions were:
  * I deleted ~/.adobe
  * I tried a reinstall of Adobe AIR as root, but it detected the installed version and I could only quit it afterwards
  * cleaned the complete firefox history (plus using BetterPrivacy)

===

Then:

Amanita, many, many thanks that you made a linux version, guys!

(but please consider not using (fading) technology like this horrible AIR)

People have used HTML-5 for very performant and nice things
(Cut the Rope, e.g.)

===

bye for now,
  Jörn
James Paige
little rusty robot

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 12:23:19 am »

I also had troubles with Adobe AIR, trying to install Botanicula linux box. Here are the problems, and how I worked around them:

(This is on an Ubuntu 12.04 laptop using the gnome-session-fallback window manager)

This installer: http://airdownload.adobe.com/air/lin/download/2.6/AdobeAIRInstaller.bin did not work for me. I could get it to run by setting the executable bit and running it from a terminal, but, it asked for my password, and when I typed it, the installer told me that I needed to install Gnome Keyring Manager (even though it is already installed.)

Then I found a .deb package for Adobe Air from here: http://update.devolo.com/linux/apt/pool/main/a/adobeair/ and it installed okay (dpkg actually printed out the same error about Gnome Keyring, but the install completed okay)

Then I ran the "Adobe AIR Application Installer" (which was in Applications->Accessories)

In the AIR installer I browsed to where I had unzipped Botanicula.air and selected it.

Then the Botanicula installer started up. it took a really long time, and maxed out my memory usage, and I was sure it had frozen up completely (the progress bar was pretty worthless) but eventually it did actually finish.

The Botanicula icon (named BotaAIRLinux) was installed in the wrong menu, Accessories instead of Games, so I moved it manually.

It works, and seems to run fine. I can play! I am excited about this game, and I am confident that the joy of playing the game will more than make up for the woefully crappy installer Wink
popsUlfr
Global Moderator

Houndeye

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 12:33:47 am »

I also had troubles with Adobe AIR, trying to install Botanicula linux box. Here are the problems, and how I worked around them:

(This is on an Ubuntu 12.04 laptop using the gnome-session-fallback window manager)

This installer: http://airdownload.adobe.com/air/lin/download/2.6/AdobeAIRInstaller.bin did not work for me. I could get it to run by setting the executable bit and running it from a terminal, but, it asked for my password, and when I typed it, the installer told me that I needed to install Gnome Keyring Manager (even though it is already installed.)

Then I found a .deb package for Adobe Air from here: http://update.devolo.com/linux/apt/pool/main/a/adobeair/ and it installed okay (dpkg actually printed out the same error about Gnome Keyring, but the install completed okay)

Then I ran the "Adobe AIR Application Installer" (which was in Applications->Accessories)

In the AIR installer I browsed to where I had unzipped Botanicula.air and selected it.

Then the Botanicula installer started up. it took a really long time, and maxed out my memory usage, and I was sure it had frozen up completely (the progress bar was pretty worthless) but eventually it did actually finish.

The Botanicula icon (named BotaAIRLinux) was installed in the wrong menu, Accessories instead of Games, so I moved it manually.

It works, and seems to run fine. I can play! I am excited about this game, and I am confident that the joy of playing the game will more than make up for the woefully crappy installer Wink

Thank you for the hint! I added it to the Running the game under Linux Sticky Wink
If you have any installation hints (or corrections or additions...) for any other distro or those already covered please do post them in the Sticky.
eriktorbjorn
little robot

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 01:00:05 am »

@eriktorbjorn maybe this is helpful for your case?:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/87447/how-can-i-install-adobe-air

It did help some, but it's now well after midnight so I didn't read it very carefully. I guess the Adobe AIR installer tries to dlopen /usr/lib/libgnome-keyring.so.0.2.0 dynamically, but Debian now puts it in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgnome-keyring.so.0.2.0 instead. So a simple symbolic link fixed the Adobe AIR installer, but I wasn't able to use the Adobe AIR Application Installer to install Botanicula because it claims that the installer file is damaged.

I don't think it's damaged - the .air file appears to be just a ZIP file, and unzip doesn't find any errors in it - so maybe there are other libraries missing. I'll have try again later, when I'm awake enough to actually read what others have written.

Riao
little robot

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 05:18:48 am »

I used the 64-bit air installer found here: http://update.devolo.com/linux/apt/pool/main/a/adobeair/

I got the same issue as eriktorbjorn, the installer is damaged.  The .zip file I downloaded matched the md5 hash that was provided from the Humble Bundle download page, so that file is fine.  I tried extracting the zip file a couple of time but got the same error when trying to install it.

I'm using LMDE-Xfce update-pack 4

EDIT

I'm not sure if this means anything, but if I try to extract the .air file I encounter this error:

Extracting  META-INF/AIR/hash     Unsupported Method

The other files extract fine, but this one ends up being 0 bytes in size.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:32:57 am by Riao » Logged
popsUlfr
Global Moderator

Houndeye

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 07:08:29 am »

EDIT

I'm not sure if this means anything, but if I try to extract the .air file I encounter this error:

Extracting  META-INF/AIR/hash     Unsupported Method

The other files extract fine, but this one ends up being 0 bytes in size.

These are my hashes:
Code:
cebb95fd475ccad1d0826e85fc60ad49  botanicula-linux-1.0-1334708544.zip
9dcee69f4f9d83cee4f1b101e5a8bcfd  Botanicula.air

Unzipping Botanicula.air doesn't give me errors:
Pastebin

I'm pretty sure your file is corrupted.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: