Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:27:58 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential problem with botanicula.exe and Norton.  (Read 10800 times)
vict
little rusty robot

« on: April 21, 2012, 09:28:06 am »

I installed Botanicula a short while ago and ran into a problem after trying to launch the game a second time. It stalled for a few minutes and then Norton reported botanicula.exe as a potential threat and deleted the EXE.

This may be an issue with Norton being overly cautious, but it seems like it could affect other users. I've attached the output file with all relevant information.

* botanicula_norton_dump.txt (1.34 KB - downloaded 753 times.)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 09:40:12 am by vict » Logged
Vunktabir
citizen robot

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:31:50 pm »

I installed Botanicula a short while ago and ran into a problem after trying to launch the game a second time. It stalled for a few minutes and then Norton reported botanicula.exe as a potential threat and deleted the EXE.

You shouldn't give your virus scanner that much of independency, it could break your system eventually if Norton someday decides some files vital to your systems are suspicious.
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:49:49 pm »

Quote from: Vunktabir
Quote from: vict

You shouldn't give your virus scanner that much of independency, it could break your system eventually if Norton someday decides some files vital to your systems are suspicious.

@Vunktabir, I thought the same thing but didn't know Norton enough to contribute a solid suggestion.  Even so, it just seemed obvious that it would be so much cooler to "Quarantine" a file first BEFORE deletion to allow for User approval... hopefully it's a Preference choice that Norton allows for(?) 

@vict, Any follow up?  Did you re-download Botanicula.exe then proceed with success or did you quit in frustration?  ( hope you're still checking in )

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: