Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:16:50 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with mouse control  (Read 37883 times)
tetsuwanatom
little rusty robot

« on: October 19, 2009, 12:34:46 am »

Hi!

I am running the linux version of Machinarium and I have been having really bad mouse problems.
For example, when i click to move the mouse in one direction, the cursor suddenly slows down and then goes everywhere else but the direction i moved it to.

Does anyone else have problems like this or know the solution to it?

Thanks a lot!
james
citizen robot

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 01:58:17 am »

This is because flash and linux do not play with each other at all. You should state what distro you are running so I can know what quick and easy commands to give you.
popsUlfr
Global Moderator
black cap brotherhood boss

Houndeye

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 02:20:50 pm »

The hardware requirements to play Flash under Linux are somewhat higher than those for PC... Playing with Hardware Acceleration by right-clicking on the screen might give you some better results.
Bllq21
little robot

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 08:08:38 am »

What are the system requirements for the linux version?
popsUlfr
Global Moderator
black cap brotherhood boss

Houndeye

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 09:17:21 am »

What are the system requirements for the linux version?

I don't know the exact requirements, I just observed that the game running on the same PC is slower under Linux than under Windows.
smls
little rusty robot

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 03:50:47 pm »

Does anyone else have problems like this or know the solution to it?

Yes, when I play the game in fullscreen mode in Linux, mouse movement/hovering/clicks is also very laggy and weird.

With fullscreen turned off, however, the mouse movement/hovering/clicks are instant and as you would expect.

Well, actually, I initially had another problem with non-fullscreen mode: The game completely ignored all mouse clicks, even though visual click confirmation was shown (e.g. clicking a button showed the "button click" animation, but didn't actually perform the action of the button). This problem was easily solved by setting the GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS encironment variable to "true" before starting Machinarium. E.g. open a terminal, change to the directory that contains the Machinarium executable, and start it with the command
Code:
GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true ./Machinarium
mitchmillenium
little rusty robot

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 12:03:08 am »

Ok Flash and Linux is pain. Real pain. Turned out that I've found another combination to get this working.

FYI the system is Debian/unstable (currently more or less equal to what will be Squeeze) with Linux 2.6.36 running Fluxbox as the window manager on an P4 3.6Ghz (yes old, 32bit hardware) with an Intel on board graphic ship 82945G.

So to get this working I've to
a) Start the game in fullscreen - otherwise link cursor is shown but left button clicks have no result.
b) Lunch a game.
c) Turn of fullscreen
d) Select in the flash player menu a quality of medium or low
e) Select from the flash menu (remember limitation of a) ...) to go back to fullscreen
=> enjoy the game without the cursor f'cking up everything

It's a bit of a pity that you created such a lovely game with such suboptimal tools but at least I found a somewhat strange way to work around the problems.
Now I just need to find out what todo after falling of the bridge ... Wink

Thanks for all the tipps here, made it a bit of an off-game bonus level with hints *g*
metasoarous
little rusty robot

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 07:17:22 pm »

FWIW, I found that while I have this problem on my laptop (integrated graphics card - Carbon X1, running Ubuntu 12.10), I didn't on my Desktop (decent dedicated card, same OS). So... it doesn't seem to be something totally endemic to the OS, just that maybe on Linux, Flash isn't as efficient and as such get's a little buggy if it doesn't have enough graphics juice. For all I know, the integrated card + OS + Flash combo is specifically the issue (different graphics drivers?). Anyway, good to see that there appear to be some solutions to this problem. I'll have to try out later...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: