Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2017, 03:44:32 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Compatibility with OSX Mavericks?  (Read 6876 times)
Timagination
little rusty robot

« on: October 30, 2013, 01:58:43 pm »

I played this game for the first time a few days ago after having read about it on Salon.  The demo ran fine on my MacBook Pro, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.9.  When I paid for and downloaded the full version, I found that it will not open, and I get the following message:

"Botanicula" can't be opened because it is from an unknown developer.

I sent a query to customer support and I got back what seems to be a"canned" response, simply advising me to check the system requirements.  I did, and my system meets or exceeds them all.

I expected better support.
Alex
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 04:44:41 pm »

Hi Timagination.
I'm not the Mac Xpert here but when I searched The Web for "can't be opened because it is from an unknown developer" I discovered that to be the standard error message OSX's security feature (called "GateKeeper") displays when it can't recognize the software you're trying to launch.

There's a work around and a permanent fix described here: http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/27/app-cant-be-opened-because-it-is-from-an-unidentified-developer/

Hope this helps.

Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 07:56:44 pm »

I'm kind of the go-to Mac guy on here (though I'm no expert, either). Yeah, I would second what Alex said that this is probably a GateKeeper issue. And even though that link refers to 10.8, I'm assuming disabling GateKeeper is pretty similar on 10.9. And I'm *assuming* because I only have 10.6.8 on my hard drive with 10.8 on an external drive, so I can't say for certain what the Security & Privacy pane looks like in Mavericks, but it's probably more or less identical to this:

Change it to "Anywhere" and that will hopefully solve the problem. Let us know. :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:13:08 pm by Lamkin » Logged
mendovino
little rusty robot

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 08:54:21 pm »

I found a work around for this problem. Just control click on the app and choose 'OPEN'. It is a security issue that is easily remedied.
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:29:27 pm »

I found a work around for this problem. Just control click on the app and choose 'OPEN'. It is a security issue that is easily remedied.

Yes, Alex mentioned in his post above that there is a workaround in the link he provided. Thanks for mentioning it specifically. I hadn't because I figured the easiest remedy would be to go with the permanent fix and disable GateKeeper entirely. :)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: