Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:04:26 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amanita Design Engine?  (Read 21039 times)
Spazydragon
little robot

An American Fan

« on: January 03, 2014, 06:15:30 pm »

I was wondering if the guys at Amanita Design use a certain engine for their games. I played through Botanicula and recently bought Machinarium and noticed that the basic menu system and inventory are very similar to each other. I know it may just be a basic coding they use for both games, but I thought it would be worth it to check.

And, as you may expect, if it is an engine is it available for anyone's use?
SleepyUser
black cap brotherhood member

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 06:31:51 pm »

Yes it is aviable.
Amanita created Botanicula and Machinarium using Flash.
I think there is a topic about this already.
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 08:06:44 pm »

Yes, JoXXz is correct, Amanita Design uses Flash ~ and I'm guessing that's how they created the character animations.  I think Flash is a free for all tool. (?)  need to check up on that 

But the programming environment they used in Machinarium (and Botanicula also I think) is called REBOL.  Have a look at the "REBOL" thread on this forum then search the Web for more info if you are so inclined.

As for their upcoming projects we have learned via Amid Amyirp that they'll be using something called the "Unity" engine.  (I need to look that up!  I have never heard of "Unity" before... at least not in the programming world  Wink

SleepyUser

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 11:56:32 pm »

Unity player is used to create 3D games.Games like counter strike were made through this
Engine.
I never used it but I'm planning
to develop games through the
Unreal Engine 3.
It's amazing.
SleepyUser

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:02:33 am »

Wait I did a mistake.
Unity player is used to launch games that were created through Unity.
And I'm not sure that you
can create only 3D games using Unity.
Spazydragon
little robot

An American Fan

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 03:08:35 am »

Thank you much for the info!

Also, Alex, Unity is an engine used to make 3D games such as Slender: The Eight Pages, Slender: The Arrival, Rust (the latest game by FacePunch Studios, the creator of Garrys Mod), and the majority of free 3D indie games you will find on Gamejolt or IndieDB (Though the recent release of FPS Creator: Reloaded has sparked even more free and further badly made indie games on those sites). If you are interested a version of it is completely free on their site. Its not as powerful as the paid version and lacks in the licensing to sell them, but it is still powerful in comparison with any other free game creator you can find.

Also, I do know of a 2D game made with Unity, called Thomas Was Alone. I'm sure more were made, but none come to mind.
RobotJosef
space invader

Eagerly awaiting Samorost 3

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 01:45:15 am »

Ah yes, Thomas was Alone looks quite good to me, as it has 4 stars on Metacritic and other rating websites. If anyone's interested then here you go:

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/thomas-was-alone/id859229050?mt=12

And for Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/220780

FloexFan aka RobotJosef
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: