Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:00:34 am

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are my Savegames?  (Read 338547 times)
popsUlfr
Global Moderator
black cap brotherhood boss

Houndeye

« on: October 19, 2009, 10:02:09 pm »

What you need to know before continuing (IMPORTANT!):
User "bsoplinger" (thank you!) made me aware of a critical problem in which it occurs that the Application isn't allowed to Save anything at all on your computer. This means Settings and Progress!
By right-clicking on the screen you get to the Adobe Flash Player Settings Tabs, select the little folder icon.
"How much information can local store on your computer?" Make sure the slider is NOT set to none! At least 100 KB or more are needed!

General guideline:
%AppData%=Refers to the Windows ApplicationData folder. Usually found under "C:\Users\{username}\AppData" or "C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data".
{RANDOMWORD}=A random word generated by the Flash Player. There should only be a single folder anyway under "#SharedObjects".
{PathToYourMachinariumInstallDirectory}=Path to your Machinarium Directory without drive letter. Usually "Program Files\Machinarium" or "Program Files (x86)\Machinarium" for x64 Systems.

• For Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7:
Code:
%AppData%\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\{RANDOMWORD}\localhost\{PathToYourMachinariumInstallDirectory}\machinarium.exe\Machinarium.sol
To get immediately to the "#SharedObjects" folder, you can try this:
Start > Run (Winkey+R Alternatively) and
Code:
%AppData%\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects

Under Vista, 7 you would find it in
Code:
%AppData%\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\{RANDOMWORD}\localhost\{PathToYourMachinariumInstallDirectory}\machinarium.exe\Machinarium.sol
(Note Win Vista, 7: executing the command "%AppData%" brings you automatically to the "Roaming" folder.)
(Note: the ApplicationData folder is hidden by default!)

[/li]

[li]For MAC:
Code:
~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/#SharedObjects/{RANDOMWORD}/localhost/{PathToYourMachinariumInstallDirectory}/machinarium.app/Machinarium.sol

[/li]

[li]For GNU/Linux|Unix:
Code:
~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects/{RANDOMWORD}/localhost/{PathToYourMachinariumInstallDirectory}/machinarium/Machinarium.sol
Note: "localhost" might be called "localwithnet" instead
Code:
~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects/{RANDOMWORD}/localwithnet/{PathToYourMachinariumInstallDirectory}/machinarium/Machinarium.sol
    [/li]

For users of CCleaner or Browser Plugins cleaning Private Data Please Read this Sticky otherwise you might lose your Progress! (Backup your Saves!)

Credits:
Original Thread
StarRoad
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:23:26 pm by Alex » Logged
jc_bromley
little robot

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 10:45:30 pm »

I'm not saving games past a  reboot (XP Pro SP3). I've followed the guidelines here & any changes I make to the size  is lost as well. It reverts back to 100 Kb with 5 Kb used.
Really not happy about this i can tell you!

Anyone else have any suggestions?

JC
Duncan47
little robot

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 10:22:48 pm »

This solution doesn't work with me either (on a mac Os X 10.5.8 ). Please let me play!!
popsUlfr
Global Moderator

Houndeye

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 10:25:25 pm »

This solution doesn't work with me either (on a mac Os X 10.5.8 ). Please let me play!!

Please be more specific! What doesn't work? You can not save? I really can't guess your case.
Duncan47
little robot

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 10:38:13 pm »

I can save and as long as I don't shut down my computer I am find to recover my save slot. But when I shut down my computer I lose all progress and save slot as if i had never played.  The Flash meter is set above 100 KB, so i don't know what is wrong. I have found the .sol mentioned above still nothing. That's my problem, sorry I wasn't clear enough i was referring to the first post.

Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:52:50 pm by Duncan47 » Logged
popsUlfr
Global Moderator

Houndeye

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 10:53:42 pm »

I can save and as long as I don't shut down my computer I am find to recover my save slot. But when I shut down my computer I lose all progress and save slot as if i had never played.  The Flash meter is set above 100 MB, so i don't know what is wrong. I have found the .sol mentioned above still nothing. That's my problem, sorry I wasn't clear enough i was referring to the first post.

Thanks a lot.

You may look around your control Panel or something looking for an option concerning temp files. Maybe the system handles those files as temporary ones and flushes them all on shutdown. The temp files on Linux are autmoatically flushed, although those saves are not stored in them  Undecided
Duncan47
little robot

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 11:09:15 pm »

hmmm, no hint as to how i should do this on my mac. I guess i'll have to find some time and complete it in a streak  Wink.
bsoplinger
citizen robot

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 12:51:17 pm »

I'd passed along the hint about the Flash cache setting since I was not saving games. I'm on OS X 10.5.8 same as you. I set mine to the far right where it says infinite (vs the 100K in the hint). Perhaps that's what's needed with OS X. Also I use Firefox vs Safari as my browser. If you use Safari there may be a setting within the browser to clear internet cache or internet temporary files that you'll need to change.
Duncan47
little robot

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 07:01:12 pm »

Nice!!  You just reminded my that I had a add-on running in firefox called "Better Privacy" which removed super cookies such as Flash-cookies when I quit firefox. I disabled it and now everything works find and I can save again. Problem solved for me!

Thanks
popsUlfr
Global Moderator

Houndeye

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 07:14:47 pm »

Nice!!  You just reminded my that I had a add-on running in firefox called "Better Privacy" which removed super cookies such as Flash-cookies when I quit firefox. I disabled it and now everything works find and I can save again. Problem solved for me!

Thanks

Glad you sorted that out!  Wink
ferrycreek
little robot

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 03:05:54 am »

Well, I've tried all the ideas here and still no games saved beyond reboot.  My wife and I love the game and have recommended it to others in our family.  They're having the same problem with saving their positions.

We're running IBM laptops/winXPpro with sufficient processor and ram.  I've deleted Adaware, Spybot, and Maxa cookie manager and set Flash to allow maximum memory using the small settings window and the Macromedia preferences panel on their website.  The only addon to Firefox is AdBlockPlus which doesn't effect cookies.  Still no saved positions after reboot.  We need some help with this; it becomes discouraging after five or six restarts from the beginning. 

I have not found the cookie by following the instructions above.  If I know the name and address of the file I could save it elsewhere and replace it after reboot.  Not very elegant, but it would be better than having to start from the beginning everyday.   Any help would be appreciated.  Our family also uses XPpro so it would help us all.  Thank you...
ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 07:04:04 am »

Still no saved positions after reboot.

This is just a shot in the dark... but, by any chance, are you running any malware utilities that pay attention to your startup configs?
Some program that could be diving in and deleting stuff before bootup (including your saved games)?

RockyMarc
little rusty robot

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 09:24:48 am »

God damn it wish I knew this before formatting and installing Windows 7 =(
I backed up Machinarium using the Steam Backup system and restored it to find no saved games =(
Damn have to start again now...
ferrycreek
little robot

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 04:19:48 am »

Here's an awkward work around for WinXPpro.  I haven't been able to discover what's deleting the file, but I can copy it to D:/Archive and then replace it after reboot.  I made two simple desktop batch files; one to copy it from deep in the macromedia tree and one to put it back after reboot.  To make this work I had to change the hidden & read-only attributes of the 'application data\macromedia dir and sub-dir's.

Here's my path to Machinarium.sol(savedpositions)
C:\Documents and Settings\1\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\KWL39E7Q\localhost\Program Files\Machinarium\machinarium.exe.  Everything below 'Application Data' was Hidden & Read Only.  Even Xcopy /H wouldn't copy until I changed the attributes.

Finally, I don't have to start over everyday.  I hope the developers can devise a safer place to store 'savepositions'.  It's a great game and I hope they're working on a sequel.
popsUlfr
Global Moderator

Houndeye

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 11:57:50 am »

I made a fairly simple Batch file that automatically backups your save in the Machinarium directory. On start it copies it to your save path in the case it has been overwritten since reboot. You only need to launch it and the game gets started. After exit the save is backuped. Right now it only works if you installed the game through the supplied installer as it looks for the registry values. I only tested it on Win 7 64 and 32bit but I don't think the registry keys would get stored elsewhere. You could also manually edit the entry variable with your path to the game if the script doesn't work.

For batch scripts not using the registry, see this post.

IMPORTANT: You need to execute the script as Administrator otherwise it will not be allowed to write to disc! (on Vista, 7 you can do that by right-clicking on the file and selecting 'Run as administrator')

Open Notepad and copy paste the code below in it. File > Save As > From the drop down menu 'Save as type' choose 'All Files (*.*)' and append to the filename a '.bat' e.g. 'machinariumsavebackup.bat' > Save
You can run it from anywhere.

Code:
@echo off
cls
cd /D "%SYSTEMROOT%"
echo admintest > admintest
if exist admintest goto admin
echo Administrator Privileges not granted.
echo Batch needs to be run as Administrator in order to backup Saves.
echo.
CHOICE /M "Continue anyway"
if errorlevel 2 goto end
if errorlevel 1 goto noadmin
:admin
del admintest
:noadmin
cd /D "%AppData%\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects"
FOR /F "tokens=*" %%a in ('dir /B') do @SET randomword=%%a
if "%processor_architecture%"=="x64" goto 64bit
if "%processor_architecture%"=="AMD64" goto 64bit
if "%processor_architew6432%"=="x64" goto 64bit
if "%processor_architew6432%"=="AMD64" goto 64bit
FOR /F "tokens=2,*" %%a in ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Machinarium" /v UninstallString') DO @SET entry=%%b
if not "%entry%"=="" goto nextstandard
FOR /F "tokens=*" %%a IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" ^|Findstr /I "{*}"') DO CALL :keycheck %%a
goto nextdaedalic
:64bit
FOR /F "tokens=2,*" %%a in ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Machinarium" /v UninstallString') DO @SET entry=%%b
FOR /F "tokens=*" %%a IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" ^|Findstr /I "{*}"') DO CALL :keycheck %%a
goto nextdaedalic
:keycheck
FOR /F "tokens=2,*" %%a in ('REG QUERY "%1" /v DisplayName') DO @SET displayname=%%b
if not "%displayname%"=="Machinarium" goto end
FOR /F "tokens=2,*" %%a in ('REG QUERY "%1" /v InstallLocation') DO @SET entry=%%b
goto end
:nextstandard
set apppath=%entry:~0,-11%
goto postregistry
:nextdaedalic
set apppath=%entry:~0,-1%
:postregistry
if not exist "%apppath%\machinarium.exe" goto nomachin
set "savepath=%AppData%\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\%randomword%\localhost\%apppath:~3%\machinarium.exe\Machinarium.sol"
if exist "%savepath%" goto next2
cd "%randomword%"
mkdir "localhost\%apppath:~3%\machinarium.exe"
:next2
cd /D %apppath%
if not exist Machinarium.sol goto nosol
copy /V /Y Machinarium.sol "%savepath%"
:nosol
machinarium.exe
copy /V /Y "%savepath%" Machinarium.sol
goto end
:nomachin
echo.
echo 'machinarium.exe' could not be located!
echo Make sure you installed the game with the official installer.
echo.
pause
:end

EDIT: Another one once executed brings you directly to the the save folder. Intended to work with installed game. I'm pretty sure it will fail if you never started the game once. You don't need to run it as Administrator.
Code:
@echo off
cls
cd /D "%AppData%\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects"
FOR /F "tokens=*" %%a in ('dir /B') do @SET randomword=%%a
if "%processor_architecture%"=="x64" goto 64bit
if "%processor_architecture%"=="AMD64" goto 64bit
if "%processor_architew6432%"=="x64" goto 64bit
if "%processor_architew6432%"=="AMD64" goto 64bit
FOR /F "tokens=2,*" %%a in ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Machinarium" /v UninstallString') DO @SET entry=%%b
FOR /F "tokens=*" %%a IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" ^|Findstr /I "{*}"') DO CALL :keycheck %%a
goto nextdaedalic
:64bit
FOR /F "tokens=2,*" %%a in ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Machinarium" /v UninstallString') DO @SET entry=%%b
FOR /F "tokens=*" %%a IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" ^|Findstr /I "{*}"') DO CALL :keycheck %%a
goto nextdaedalic
:keycheck
FOR /F "tokens=2,*" %%a in ('REG QUERY "%1" /v DisplayName') DO @SET displayname=%%b
if not "%displayname%"=="Machinarium" goto end
FOR /F "tokens=2,*" %%a in ('REG QUERY "%1" /v InstallLocation') DO @SET entry=%%b
goto end
:nextstandard
set apppath=%entry:~0,-11%
goto postregistry
:nextdaedalic
set apppath=%entry:~0,-1%
:postregistry
if not exist "%apppath%\machinarium.exe" goto nomachin
start explorer /root,"%AppData%\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\%randomword%\localhost\%apppath:~3%\machinarium.exe"
goto end
:nomachin
echo.
echo 'machinarium.exe' could not be located!
echo Make sure you installed the game with the official installer.
echo.
pause
:end

EDIT2:added some lines to the registry backup script to be CCleaner and possibly other Private file cleaner safe.

EDIT3:updated registry backup script. Now it can determine if it was executed as admin and display a message accordingly. Also added support for the german Daedalic version.
Updated jump to save folder script to be compatible with the german Daedalic version and display a message if no install was found.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 10:17:22 am by popsUlfr » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: