Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:15:04 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cursor is different in paid version of Machinarium  (Read 14554 times)
Maremare0
little rusty robot

« on: April 16, 2014, 05:00:58 am »

I played the demo version and noticed that there is a "hand" cursor that appears when something in the game need "manipulating" and I don't see that in the paid version that I bought.  Is there any way to get that "hand" cursor to appear in the paid version??

(I'm running the paid version on a PC with Windows 8.1)
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:57:54 pm »

Now, I have a Mac, but my *guess* is that it has something to do with Flash Player, as the paid version of Machinarium has a built-in version of Flash Player that runs the game, as opposed to the online demo which will use your browser's Flash Player plug-in...and I'm thinking that because the paid version of Machinarium has a version of Flash Player that is not current (as the game was released in '09), maybe it's not compatible fully or is glitchy or whatever with Windows 8.1. Maybe? So one thing you could try is to download the latest standalone version of Windows Flash Player (it's called 'Flash Player projector') from this site:
http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
Couple of steps to do after that:
1. I'm not sure how to do this in Windows, but if you can open up the Machinarium application itself, you'll want to locate the movie.swf file and move (or copy it) so that it sits right alongside the application for Machinarium.
2. Then open up that movie.swf file with Windows Flash Player projector.

Of course, you would have to do step 2 each and every time you run Machinarium, but I'd be curious to see whether or not that solves your problem.

(What's odd is that, for me, as a Mac user, I have the opposite problem in that I don't see that hand in the demo version, but I do in the paid version.)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 08:36:20 pm by Lamkin » Logged
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 01:21:12 am »

Posted this already in another thread, but...I e-mailed Amanita yesterday to ask about this issue. I got a response today:
current W8 version is primarily meant to be played on W8 touch devices. Microsoft asked for this. The fact that it works also with a mouse is rather a bonus. Well, maybe it is a bit confusing bonus right now.
But lets break some news here - we are preparing an update adding the full mouse support including all these features like cursor changes and so on. But it will take a while.
It will be an update so  it's free of charge for all who already bought it.

Makes sense to me about it being a bonus that the Windows 8 version works with the mouse.
Anyway, this is good news about the update. :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 01:32:10 am by Lamkin » Logged
Lonicera
citizen robot

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 02:10:27 pm »

Posted this already in another thread, but...I e-mailed Amanita yesterday to ask about this issue. I got a response today:
current W8 version is primarily meant to be played on W8 touch devices. Microsoft asked for this. The fact that it works also with a mouse is rather a bonus. Well, maybe it is a bit confusing bonus right now.
But lets break some news here - we are preparing an update adding the full mouse support including all these features like cursor changes and so on. But it will take a while.
It will be an update so  it's free of charge for all who already bought it.

Makes sense to me about it being a bonus that the Windows 8 version works with the mouse.
Anyway, this is good news about the update. Smiley

Interesting & rather annoying to say the least that Microsoft specifically required that it be only 'touch' friendly.  IOW although they sold Win 8 as just as usable on laptops & desktops without touch - in fact as an even better OS for them than previous Win OS's...  but  are now putting app's that can only run on Win 8.1 in the store & more & more 'touch' only app's...  kind of obvious, & very bad business practise IMO, that MS is going for the next big push of trying to make Windows users buy their touch tablets & phones.   Angry   I did notice that MS Customer Support asked what kind of problems was I encountering with the game on my phone.  I also notice they've 'modified' the game description in their Store in the past day or so to:  "The gameplay features classic point and click (touch) adventure,"...  it didn't have that "(touch)" qualifier in it before.  Deceptive???   Huh

I hope Amanita & other developers realize & factor in to their future projects the fact that 'touch' is definitely not easily usable for disabled users, quite the opposite in fact, no matter what Microsoft demands.   Roll Eyes

Anyway, I gave up on waiting for an update or patch & uninstalled & MS is giving me a refund.

Still love the game & will be buying the Android version of it instead.  Many thanks for the help, Lamkin.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: