Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:39:36 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Samorost 3 crashing at all scenes where horn unlocks  (Read 12002 times)
SmartK9s
little robot

« on: October 08, 2016, 03:11:01 am »

Windows10 PC, 64 bit, 12 G ram, Intel Core

Game freezes and locks up completely at any point past the first world where I use the horn to unlock information. Have to use task manager to exit.

Game is beautiful, but utterly unusable for me.

Can't get a screen shot but I took a photograph of the screen.

I took the liberty of embedding your image. Click for 100% view. ~Alex

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:31:59 pm by Alex » Logged
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 06:58:48 pm »

Hi SmartK9s, I'm not on Amanita Design support staff but I'll try my best to assist you.

Game freezes and locks up completely at any point past the first world where I use the horn to unlock information. Have to use task manager to exit.

That screen shot is not just "at any point"; that's well into the game!  So these freezes you're vexed with obviously don't happen EVERY time use the horn or you never would have gotten to that level.    Just realized that was your wallpaper and NOT the level you reached in the game.   ~doah~   Roll Eyes

Personally I'm not running Windows 10 but from what I'm reading online if you've recently installed the so-called "Anniversary Update" on your laptop that could be what's causing the problem.  There's more info at the link I've provided.

Meantime, the other suggestion I have is to try starting Windows 10 in safe mode, stat playing Samorost3, and see if that stops the freezes.

Good luck and please post a follow up when you figure out the fix.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:28:57 pm by Alex » Logged
SmartK9s
little robot

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 05:35:00 pm »

Thanks. Getting in and out of safe mode is crazy complicated in windows 10! But I did it. Sadly, Samorost 3 doesn't run at all in safe mode. The program appeared to open, but once it got to the start page with the circle, horn and star - the program froze up completely and I had to boot task manager to even exit.

Unfortunately until things change I just can't use it at all. I had wanted to purchase Botanicula, but not going to risk it now  Sad

Janeen
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 08:22:57 pm »

Yeah, from what I've read online the process of getting in and out of Safe Mode in Windows 10 is hecka complicated!
Too bad it was all for naught.   Except that now you know how to get there should you ever (heaven forbid) catch a virus or some malware sneaks in and you need to be in Safe Mode to remove it.

But you never answered my question: Are you up to date on all MS recommended Windows 10 software updates?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 08:58:03 pm by Alex » Logged
SmartK9s
little robot

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 09:47:10 pm »

Sorry, yes I believe that I am. Winver at command prompt give me:

Version 1607 OS Build 14393.222

Janeen
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 12:53:45 am »

Yep, according to the MS Windows 10 update history page, "Version 1607 OS Build 14393.222" is the most recent update.  (barring that "Anniversary Update" that caused those freeze complaints I mentioned earlier)

edit:
Thinking about what else to try I just remembered the one thing we always suggest that folks do:  Re-Download the game. 
It is possible that the installation you currently have was corrupted a bit while downloading and that could be what's causing the "Starling" crashes.

Or...
If once you try that you still have freezes then the last advice I can give you is to write to Amanita Design support and ask if they know what might be causing your Windows 10 freezes.  You might want to include a link to our discussion here so they can see the ground we've already covered: http://forum.amanita-design.net/index.php?topic=5300.0

Good luck and please post a follow up once a solution is found.
~Alex

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 02:29:15 am by Alex » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: