Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:38:37 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Botanicula is not available on your current platform  (Read 52779 times)
Erik765
little robot

« on: October 09, 2016, 06:43:26 am »

Hi everyone,

I purchased Botanicula a while back and have enjoyed playing it on my Mac. I would love to also install and play it on my Linux (Mint) system, and it says it's available in Steam for SteamPlay/Linux, but it won't let me install it (no option to even do so), and when I attempt to click on Play from the product page, I see "Botanicula is not available on your current platform".

Am I missing something, or will I not be able to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Moderator comment: I posted this below but thought it might be helpful to edit this first post to say that Steam Play does not mean Linux support! Also, Botanicula is currently not available on Steam for Linux. ~Lamkin
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:45:38 am by Lamkin » Logged
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 06:59:29 am »

I don't see "Linux" on Botanicula's Steam page:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/207690/

Where exactly does "it" say Botanicula is available in Steam for SteamPlay/Linux?

edit:
Oh I think I see now… "it" is here.
If that's how you bought the game then just click on the Penguin icon to download the Linux install.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 07:07:03 am by Alex » Logged
Erik765
little robot

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 07:07:12 am »

That's weird.

It shows up plain as day for me-

Erik765
little robot

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 07:09:08 am »

I only bought it via steam, so I'm hoping I don't have to buy it again (elsewhere) Sad That wouldn't make much sense.

If I were to have never purchased it, for example, I could still buy it via steam and have it playable on my Linux system it seems Sad
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 07:16:51 am »

Sorry Erik765, obviously Botanicula is not a cross-buy from Steam to the Humble Widget sales portal.

You can write to Amanita Design to complain if you wish to, here.
Or think of the additional $10 you'd spend as your contribution to the developers.  (they have said more than once that buying directly from them benefits them more than if one uses other means to purchase their games)

Erik765
little robot

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 07:21:29 am »

That makes sense (that it benefits them more), yes. I was just browsing Steam one day and saw it so I grabbed it.

I'll probably just go for it again and maybe another.

At least I have an answer now though.

Thanks for the super quick replies!
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 07:30:51 am »

Glad to help out any way I can.

By the way, another plus of buying via the Humble Widget is that you get the full soundtrack that DVA created for the game.  (you just click on the icon)

Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 09:53:27 am »

Hey guys. :) Just thought I would add that Steam Play does not mean Linux support! Also, Botanicula is currently not available on Steam for Linux.

This post from Valve explains what Steam Play is:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9439-QHKN-1308

Hmm...  I'd quote the post verbatim here, but a couple of sentences are slightly confusing, IMO, so I'll reword it slightly and attempt to clarify things just a little:

Steam Play allows you to purchase your games once and play anywhere. Whether you have purchased your Steam Play-enabled game on your Mac, Windows PC, or Linux PC, you will be able to play it on another platform free of charge if the game has been released on the platform that you are attempting to play on. (You'll need to look for the little Apple, Windows, or SteamOS logo in order to see what platforms a game has been released on.)

Edit: If it's still a little confusing, here is an article I found that goes into a bit more detail and has some images:
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/how-to-tell-what-steam-games-work-on-linux-steamos.7009
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:36:39 am by Lamkin » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: