Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:00:17 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow! 1st Interstellar Asteroid Is a Spinning Space Cigar  (Read 10680 times)
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« on: November 22, 2017, 06:38:25 am »

When astronomers using the Pan-STARRS1 telescope in Hawaii spotted a mysterious object dashing through our solar system on Oct. 19, they immediately knew it was something special. ~more

in my book that's what I would call a "close call" ~A  Roll Eyes
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 08:21:53 pm »

Interesting!  Now I see that there's some chatter about this "Space Cigar" possibly being of alien origin.
(anyone ever read Arthur C. Clarke's "Rendezvous With Rama"?)

Astronomers Want To Know: Does This Interstellar Visitor Have A Message For Us?  
"Researchers working on long-distance space transportation have previously suggested that a cigar or needle shape is the most likely architecture for an interstellar spacecraft, since this would minimize friction and damage from interstellar gas and dust... [researchers will] be checking on that hypothesis by scanning the object for possible artificial transmitters through a radio telescope at West Virginia's Green Bank Observatory."

I will continue to update this topic. ~A

UPDATE – December 13, 2017:  Nope.  "No evidence of artificial signals emanating from the object so far detected" 

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:22:41 pm by Alex » Logged
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 10:57:25 am »

I can't seem to let go of this spinning interstellar cigar...  Roll Eyes

Here's an 8 minute clip of Neil DeGrasse Tyson (the Establishment spokesperson) vs. Stephen Colbert (comedian representing dreamers like me) about whether the cigar shaped interstellar visitor was (or was not) built by extraterrestrials.

<

Personally: I think Tyson was full of... himself... when he suggested that it was an elongated "loosely held together rubble pile" and I also think that Colbert smacked Tyson down with his "a thinking creature started the process" gravitational demonstration with his pen. 

IMO:  Colbert_1   Tyson_0

Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 11:21:51 am »

<

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: