Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:38:51 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Machinarium doesn't work correctly when Windows username starts with a dot  (Read 17996 times)
.oisyn
little rusty robot

« on: December 16, 2009, 12:35:00 am »

Maybe this is just related to Flash itself, but I thought you guys should know as well.

My windows 7 username is the same as the name I registered on this board with, ".oisyn". I found out that after installing Machinarium it hangs right before it displays the main screen (you know, which contains "new game" and such). When manually creating the savegame including the whole directory tree that leads up to that (C:\users\.oisyn\AppData\Roaming\macromedia\...), it *does* actually work. It no longer hangs before the main screen and I can load up my savegame (that I'd created on my laptop on which I started playing the game). Unfortunately, it will not save new games. I can assign slots to them, but when restarting Machinarium the new ones are vanished and the Machinarium.sol file remains untouched.

So I thought perhaps a problem with file rights or something, so just to try I created another useraccout on my machine (named "test"), logged into that account and Machinarium works like a charm. Now, being a IT guy with some familiarity regarding abnormalities with filenames that begin with a dot (such as my username and hence the directory structure of the savegame file) , I was curious whether the dot actually mattered. So I created another account, named ".test". Loaded up Machinarium, and whatta you know, exactly the same problems as on my main account.

So, for the time being I "fixed" it by having a batch file that does a "run as" to run Machinarium in my test account, but I'd much rather like to see a cleaner solution Smiley.

Cheers

.edit: oh, by the way, other than this minor issue this is a superb game, keep up the good work! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:38:45 am by .oisyn » Logged
Sandy Trunks
captain robot

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 05:54:55 am »

...I'd much rather like to see a cleaner solution Smiley.

Um.  You want "a cleaner solution"?  How about you just stop using a dot in front of your user name?   Wink Cheesy

pinot2me
little robot

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:49:25 am »

Heheh. Well put.

.numbnut   Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: