Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:33:33 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sales numbers (approximate/qualitative)?  (Read 19321 times)
Lars
little robot

« on: February 11, 2010, 11:18:32 am »

Dear Amanita Design-staff,

Could you give us any idea of the sales numbers of Machinarium? I'm just wondering where they are with respect to your expectations/hopes on a scale from disappointing to off the charts Smiley Not asking for specific numbers (if you don't want to reveal them), in other words.

Do you sell enough games to keep you going and make new, awesome games like Machinarium?

Huge fan: Lars
ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 05:07:46 pm »

If I remember correctly, towards the end of this videotaped interview with JD he said that Amanita Design has earned enough from Machinarium sales to remain independent.  (yay!  Grin)
Lars
little robot

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 07:07:44 pm »

Thanks for the link!

Awesome, I was really hoping that they were doing financially well Cheesy Makes me want to try to make one of those computer games that I've been fantasizing about for years myself...
gal.eon
noble citizen robot

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:05:00 pm »

Makes me want to try to make one of those computer games that I've been fantasizing about for years myself...

Yes, me too! I started doodling and figuring out some puzzles, environment sets, graphic engine... But don't have any idea about the characters, the story, the music and so on. Knowing that it took 3 years Amanita design to polish Machinarium, I uspect that I'll give up soon Wink
Lars
little robot

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 12:27:19 pm »

gal.eon, that's exactly what I'm doing myself also. But don't give up, just get help or lower your ambitions (lowering ones ambitions is such a great way to avoid/rename failure Wink)...
divit
black cap brotherhood member

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 10:13:45 pm »

Small games are good too - check out Ben Chandler's stuff.

Or maybe Samorost...
remover
little robot

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 11:56:03 am »

Makes me want to try to make one of those computer games that I've been fantasizing about for years myself...

Yes, me too! I started doodling and figuring out some puzzles, environment sets, graphic engine... But don't have any idea about the characters, the story, the music and so on. Knowing that it took 3 years Amanita design to polish Machinarium, I uspect that I'll give up soon Wink

I have the exact opposite problem.
I have a very general idea how programming and stuff works,
but my area of expertise is more in the music, writing and art/design stuff. I'm a musician by trade, aspiring writer (ie - i like the idea of people taking my writing serious some day, but don't really apply my talents constructively/i'm a lazy bum) and have always wanted to make games. I just didn't know how to take a story or characters or art ideas and make it into a game.
gal.eon
noble citizen robot

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 07:58:16 am »

Lars, remover: As it seems we should team up and start making something real Smiley

More seriously, may be we can start a topic with WIP concepts.
ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 05:52:10 pm »

... maybe we can start a topic with WIP concepts.

Sounds cool!  I'd suggest using the Other Games and Interesting Sites board to test run the topic.  If there's enough enthusiasm generated a "Works In Progress" or "Fan-made Games" board could be created within the "Whatever" category.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: