Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:29:44 am

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Samorost 2 CD  (Read 44851 times)
dg10050
Global Moderator
captain robot

« on: December 16, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

So I guess I'm a bit late in learning about Samorost, but I just played the first one and I absolutely loved it. I liked it so much that I already want to buy the combo game+soundtrack CD. However, I was wondering what platform the CD was for (Windows, Linux, OSX). I personally have both Windows and Linux, so I would like to be able to play the game on both platforms. If that means I have to buy it twice, well I may just do that. Tongue But it would still be nice to have it on both platforms without having to pay for two copies.
ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:55:27 pm »

It so happens that I received and explored my own copy of the Samorost2 CD in just the last couple of weeks.  :-)

FWIW I posted my detailed personal observations on the Samorost Fan forum (look in the "Samorost News" subsection... http://www.samorost2.com/samorum/)

It's a *really* well made Hybrid CD-ROM, and plays the soundtrack flawlessly in any CD player I've put it in, contains all the music tracks as MP3s in a sub-folder that you can upload into whatever MP3 player you use, and plays the game directly from the disk either from the Samorost2.exe in a Windows OS (98 and up) or within your favorite Web Browser on MAC or Linux boxes by launching the Samorost2.html file.

I've personally tried it on my friends OSX 10.4.x machine and it played perfectly using her Safari browser.  I don't have a LINUX box but it seems obvious to me that it'll play equally well on that OS too since it's all about the browser.

You can buy your own copy from the Tamizdat website (delivery from The Czech Republic to California took about 2 to 3 weeks)

https://www.tamizdat.org/rpm/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=QDR-8&&

Share and enjoy!  :-)
dg10050
Global Moderator
captain robot

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 11:45:38 pm »

Awesome. Though, I was wondering why the Samorost 2 website says that the soundtrack costs $16, but the actual webisite where you buy it says that it is $19. Is this in Canadian dollars or something, or was it just a mistake on the Samorost website? (Or am I just being cheated? Roll Eyes)
Also, would you happen to know where I can get a downloadable version of Samorost 1. I guess it used to be on Telltalegames.com, but it's no longer there.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 11:52:25 pm by dg10050 » Logged
ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 02:02:22 am »

> ...wondering why the Samorost 2 website says that the soundtrack costs $16,
> but the actual website where you buy it says that it is $19.

I've also noticed that $3 price discrepancy you're pointing out.  (and that's a recent change BTW, as I bought my disk for $16 + $7 S&H to the U.S. for a total of $23 back in early November)  Obviously the Samorost2 website has not been updated with the $3 price increase Tamizdat added for whatever their reasons might be.  I'm just a fan and don't have a direct line to ask them why.

Maybe it's higher international shipping costs or the ever weakening value of US dollars?  I don't really know.  But I don't, personally, believe that there's a "cheat" going down.  After all, these are artists we're dealing with here, and, thus, they have to answer to a "higher authority" than the average capitalist scumbag on The Street.  (piss off the muses at your own peril, eh?!  ;-)

As for the Samorost1 download, I plugged "Samorost1.exe" into GOOGLE and got a few good results.  Give this link a try... http://files.filefront.com/Samorost1exe/;6682078;/fileinfo.html

Something I should warn you about though is that there's a consistent bug in the version of the stand-alone Samorost1 player that's available out there; it crashes after about 10 minutes once you've launched it.  You can even just leave it running at the startup level (without ever clicking on the observatory on the Gnome's planet) and it'll *still* quit on you after 10 minutes.  VERY ANNOYING!

Even so, all the .SWF (Flash) files are added to your HD after the install so, if you wanted to, you could just launch each SWF file one by one to play through.  (kind of bogus but it gets the job done)
dg10050
Global Moderator
captain robot

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 02:54:34 am »

Yeah, I guess I didn't take into account the weakening of the dollar. Ah well. Also, I've heard about crashing issues with the standalone version. I was more just looking for the swf files. Since it was easy to grab the html of the site and the main swf I can now add the remaining ones (which weren't so easy to get considering I didn't know the filenames) and I have a complete offline version to play in any browser. It's a bit disapointing that I have to pay $3 than others, but whatever. It's still an awesome soundtrack and game, even if it is short as anything. Tongue
Nurykabe
Global Moderator
citizen robot

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 01:09:15 pm »

Yeah, but the soundtrack in CD version is actually a bit longer than the songs as they appear in the game.
Smiley  Some of the versions are definitely worth the price.
dg10050
Global Moderator
captain robot

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 07:34:03 pm »

Well, I went ahead and ordered it on Sunday. Do you know when I may get it? (I live in Georgia, US.)
Also, when I log in and go to the Account Maintenance page and check the order info, it says "Pending" next to "Order Status:" but the page doesn't seem like it actually gets updated. It looks more like a reciept that is generated after a purchase. Do you know is this page is actually updated once the CD ships?
ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 11:22:30 pm »

Well, I went ahead and ordered it on Sunday. Do you know when I may get it? (I live in Georgia, US.)

It looks like I might be a great salesman, but I'm definitely a poor communicator!  ;-)

I already wrote you that it took about 3 weeks for my disk to arrive in California, but I guess that fact got buried in the excess detail I wrote you.  My friends always tell me that I talk too much, but I don't know.  I mean, I always figured that if one wants to be clear and precise then it's okay to employ as much English or Czech or Russian or Spanish or French or German or Tagalog or whatever language you're sharing with your listener in order to express yourself as clearly as possible.  Then again, what if that person doesn't really care to read all the extra detail you've taken the time to embed in your missive?  Good question!  There certainly are a TON of blogs out there choked with *that* kind of information overload, I can assure you.  Why, just the other day I...

;-D
dg10050
Global Moderator
captain robot

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 11:39:24 pm »

It looks like I might be a great salesman, but I'm definitely a poor communicator!  ;-)

I already wrote you that it took about 3 weeks for my disk to arrive in California, but I guess that fact got buried in the excess detail I wrote you.  My friends always tell me that I talk too much, but I don't know.  I mean, I always figured that if one wants to be clear and precise then it's okay to employ as much English or Czech or Russian or Spanish or French or German or Tagalog or whatever language you're sharing with your listener in order to express yourself as clearly as possible.  Then again, what if that person doesn't really care to read all the extra detail you've taken the time to embed in your missive?  Good question!  There certainly are a TON of blogs out there choked with *that* kind of information overload, I can assure you.  Why, just the other day I...

;-D
*smacks forehead*
Actually, I did read that in your post. I guess I just...forgot. Tongue
Anyway, thanks for the help. I can't wait to get my CD. Smiley
ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 08:38:02 am »

*smacks forehead*
Actually, I did read that in your post. I guess I just...forgot. Tongue
Anyway, thanks for the help. I can't wait to get my CD. Smiley

Oh heck, you're totally welcome amigo, I'm just tanked up on cold meds and acting dopey, so please forgive my lame-o attempt at "humor"....   Roll Eyes

But, yeah, I can guarantee that the CD will knock your socks off!
In fact I've spent so much time listening to the soundtrack portion of it that I've decided (as soon as this cold's over and I can think straight) to D/L & install the Windows version of i-Tunes on my computer just so that I can D/L Floex's first album "Pocustone"  (here's where to find the D/L link if you or anyone else is interested... http://www.quazidelict.cz/en/disco.htm)

Share and enjoy!  :-)
dg10050
Global Moderator
captain robot

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 02:54:18 pm »

I may have to get that CD too. I was just listening to the previews in iTunes and it sounds pretty nice. Kind of jazzy, but with that trippy Samorost-like feel. Grin
Plus it's in iTunes Plus format, which means no DRM and it's at twice the bitrate of other songs. So yay. (Also, Down with DRM! Tongue)

EDIT: I was just going through the internet and I happened to find a place where you can buy the actual Pocustone CD. As long as you can get through the language barrier (German?).: http://www.amazon.de/Pocustone-CD-Floex/dp/B000084HYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1198160301&sr=1-1

Also, you may be interested in this podcast: http://www.radiothreesixty.com/r360_index.html
They put some great music on there. It's a good way to discover new albums with a similar style.

EDIT 2: After doing a bit more crawling through the tubes of the internet, I found that you can actually buy the Pocustone CD from the same place as the Samarost CD: *removed*

EDIT (Yeah, again): I just noticed that the URL I posted was going through some other site. If you actually go through Tamizdat.org, the CD is nowhere to be found. So it's probably not a good idea to try to buy the CD through the other site.

Here's another option for purchasing the CD: http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/55940
That site is in english too. Just scroll down to the bottom and click English. Just keep in mind that it would cost you about $30 after shipping. Plus customs tax.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 03:59:14 pm by dg10050 » Logged
jd
Administrator
black cap brotherhood member

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 04:31:35 pm »

hi.
sorry for the confusion about the price of the CD, Tamizdat.org raised the price from $16 to $19 probably because dollar went down dramatically, we cannot do nothing with this except I just fixed the price on our website. However the price of the downloadable version remains the same ($ 6.90).

here is the picture of the CD.  It includes Samorost2 Full Version - Windows and Browser Version, Soundtrack as audio tracks and MP3's.
dg10050
Global Moderator
captain robot

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 04:36:52 pm »

Thank you. Don't worry about the price increase. It looks like it's worth it. Smiley
dg10050
Global Moderator
captain robot

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 06:46:59 pm »

Well, my Samorost 2 CD just arrived. It's amazing. The quality is much higher than I had actually expected. I'm afraid to even touch the shiny case, I don't want to get fingerprints all over it. Despite the case being made of cardboard it is very sturdy and does not seem likely to bend or crease. It's also nice how pre-ripped MP3s are included on the CD, though I think this CD deserves to be ripped to a lossless format. Wink
boombever
little rusty robot

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 12:00:00 am »

Last week I ordered a CD about Samorost2. Well I got it this week, but as we were moving, I put the cd in the drawer and throw away the package. Dummy me! It worked out that the cd was empty and it was a normal cd as you can buy in a shop. I paid $19 for it. What about this story?
Boombever
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: