Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:55:17 pm

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Price going to be lowered?  (Read 40012 times)
nmi576
captain robot

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 07:15:33 pm »

At least you're free from Steam's DRM. No need to be online to install or play, no need to wait for Steam servers when they're under maintenance or simply offline, the game is not tied to an account which can be disabled or stolen. In other words, instead of renting the game, you have bought it for a similar price. Plus you'll have to OST and gave more support to the devs Smiley
verticalcity
noble citizen robot

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 08:36:36 pm »

is it just me, or does steam sound terrible? Wink
actually i'm a lazy person and have not checked up what it actually is, but what i got out of your last posting (@ilsyde), i would never use a service like steam (my humble own opinion). is it true that you can play it only when you are logged into your online account? why actually anyone would want to do that? just wondering. Smiley especially when you can get it directly from amanita together with some goodies. sounds fine to me.
and for the slight price difference, i think nothing to care about. and you get it directly from the guys, for different systems with the soundtrack... more than i would ever have asked for considering the 17$. and i have to admit, i was hoping they release a full game like this, the demo makes me really longing for the 16th (not only me). first time in years that i'm looking so forward for a game, i have the feeling like purchasing a piece of art. Wink by the way, who wants art combined with drm?
popsUlfr
Global Moderator
black cap brotherhood boss

Houndeye

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 09:47:34 pm »

is it just me, or does steam sound terrible? Wink
actually i'm a lazy person and have not checked up what it actually is, but what i got out of your last posting (@ilsyde), i would never use a service like steam (my humble own opinion).

STEAM is basically an Online vendor. You can easily purchase games through this service, those are then tied to your account. It's more than that though, it can also be used for Instant Messaging, managing friends (Tongue) joining multiplayer matches, joining a Community...
It's by far the leading industry online retailer, it has its supporters and haters. I'm in between  Smiley .

I couldn't get around using STEAM, Valve's games (starting with Half-Life 2) are all deeply embeded in it. I'm a Half-Life fan since the first hour, but looking at it in this context it could be more accurately described as powerful tool. What I mean by that is it actually makes sense in concordance with the Source Engine (it powers all of Valve's games), it was meant for modding and to manage game content but that's another story.

is it true that you can play it only when you are logged into your online account? why actually anyone would want to do that? just wondering.

You can use the client in Offline mode but you will not be having some of the proposed services that are available when Online. An advantage this system has is you can basically access all your games (purchased through it) from anywhere in the world if an internet connection is present. This represents a big reason for some person to get their gaming needs through it. STEAM is by far the biggest fish in the Online Retailer Industry and is the DRM scheme per se. However DRM has become a very trendy topic nowadays and Companies are willing to spend money on Protecting their Intellectual Properties with complex DRM schemes (like SECUROM's Online Authentification). Retail games come packaged with all sort of mess therefore purchasing through an Online vendor looks more and more like the logical next step. Today it's all about which version has the "milder" copy protection scheme, DRM free titles are few and very exotic.

They may be few but they're coming back from the deads! : http://www.gog.com/
I love this service you get the feeling like you actually own the games instead of "renting" them (STEAM alikes)

A growing opposer to STEAM is Impulse, it's still a DRM scheme but you actually don't need the client to play your games. (each one is tied to your E-Mail account)

I hope the industry is moving towards adopting the DRM free philosophy, some stand out as being exemplary in this context: Stardock (responsible for the Impulse service) have released their games DRM free in stores. CDProject (Polish game developer, responsible for GOG.com) has patched out any DRM out of their game "The Witcher". They're few but services like GOG.com or Direct2Drive proposing some of their games DRM free and of course most notoriously Indie Developers (I look at you!) clearly hint at a turning point. It's a step in the right direction in my opinion  Wink

What I want to tell is that you have to be more vigilante when it comes to purchasing a game. There's no way around really you have to inform yourself about what protection this or that game is using or you may get some really bad surprises after purchasing your boxed copy!

Apologises for getting a bit Offtopic here (just a bit...)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:55:43 pm by popsUlfr » Logged
Skeeter
little robot

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 02:34:54 am »

if you pre-order through us, you will receive also Mac version and the soundtrack in MP3's. on Steam you will get only Windows version.

That's awesome! I have both a PC and a Mac, so glad I pre-ordered with you guys Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: