Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:30:57 pm

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: In year 2012 still can't save Manchinarium [SOLVED]  (Read 45304 times)
sausy
citizen robot

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 09:02:17 pm »

Hi Alex, I'm back with new questions. After I saved in saves.exe #1 and entered, it said "Found Manchinarium.sol and saved" or something close to that. That tells me saves.exe functioned correctly up to that point, five hours later I got the error notice stated above that the file couldn't be found. Exactly, what does that error message say? What is it telling me? I need to know exactly to think through what my options might be. Does the error acure within saves.exe that it can't read/find the file. Was it removed/erased or couldn't read it?  I'm wondering if I should dump Internet Explorer 9 and install a new browser? So, can you translate the error message for me?  I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 08:19:22 pm »

...Exactly, what does that error message say?

Your error message was:

Error: manchinarium.sol file not found!
** script error: write expected destination argument of type: file url object block
** where:restore 
** near: write/binary get-machinarium.sol-file read/binary%Machinarium.sol end-message   
** press enter to quit

I took the machinarium.sol out of my Machinarium games folder (the one I'm assuming was put there by SAVES.EXE), Used #2 option (restore), and this was the error I got...

So I am getting an "Access Error" while you are getting a "Script Error".

Specifically: "expected destination argument of type: file url object block"

All I can think to suggest is that you confirm that SAVES.EXE is in the same directory as the Machinarium.exe file you are launching to play the game AND that you've remembered to increase the amount of local storage your Flash player is saving while you play Machinarium (right click on the main screen and see)...

If all this doesn't work... sausy, my friend, I'm approaching the place in my mind where I will soon suggest that you play Scrabble with your grand daughter rather than Machinarium.   Roll Eyes

sausy
citizen robot

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 08:22:00 pm »

ALEX...I have good news. I'm actually playing the game. We got all the way to the band concert outside the bar. All the instruments are working and the cat has chased out the vermin in the horn. What fun!  I'm infatuated with the little tin man, this guy gets-it-on he loves his dancing.   We have gotten this far over two days and probably shut down and resumed the the game ten times. I was at the point of thinking we were not going to be able to play this game together.  I had tried a couple of times since last talking with you,  but when I got up in the morning there was no saved game.  Then I changed three things.  Here is what I have found that might be responsible for the good news:  1)  I made sure to always focus on the correct process when launching saves.exe. What that means is : select option #1 to save, or #2 to restore > enter > get the error message > enter > get the script defining the error > enter to quit.  Note the times needed to (enter) to exit saves.exe.  The error messages have no affect on it working correctly if you follow the entire process.    2)   I already knew that I had Administrative control on this PC. ( make note I'll explain )  I don't know for sure if this enabled access to the machinarium game file, but some thing changed.  I right-clicked on the game app. > menu window >properties > security > edit > advanced. I looked through these windows to get clear idea of the situation.  When I first entered the windows I saw:  security > Owner Creator had Full Control permissions over Application/folders/files.  Administrators and users had less control.   Some how I was able to remove Owner Creator from the list of Group or User names with specified permissions.  Also I was able to upgrade Administrators and users to Full Control.  I mentioned earlier I am administrator on this PC and also indicated as a User in that list.  All this Only pertains to Machinarium game file Properties.   OK on to the last thing I changed :  3)  I make sure when launching saves.exe or Machinarium app. that I do it this way:  Select (left-click) > Right-click > menu > Run as Administrator.  All of this is certain on this PC.  I know very little about the inner workings of apps. and computers.  Two days ago I could not play Machinarium,  save, come back and continue the game. Now, I'm able to  save-open-save-open.  Also I'm able to play the game with my grand daughter.    Thank you Alex for hanging in, it was hard I know.  But your hard work paid off.
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 05:05:37 am »

Woo Hoo!  

Quote from: sausy

I changed three things....

Of the three you listed I think the 3rd was the kicker.

3)  I make sure when launching saves.exe or Machinarium app. that I do it this way:  Select (left-click) > Right-click > menu > Run as Administrator.

If you look at that "Batch File" I mentioned in my 2nd post ( remember when I told you we didn't want to make you our guinea pig by trying to run it? )  Well, the guy that wrote it mentioned: "I have not found it necessary to run as administrator.  HOWEVER, if you need to do so on your computer, simply remove line 6 'goto noadmin' and the script will check and remind you each time."

It looks like that's what did the trick!  You need to run saves.exe as administrator.  

I don't know why.  I'm just glad that you and your granddaughter are finally enjoying the game together at last!

Now that you're on your way I'd like to suggest to you that when you've finished Machinarium, you and your granddaughter should play " Questionaut " together!  ( just be sure to keep a 2nd browser window open so you can search for stuff like metric conversions and the like  Wink  )

Best to you and yours,
~A
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:25:54 pm by Alex » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: