Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:33:52 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Play says Machinarium "incompatible with your Samsung Nexus 10"  (Read 15016 times)
Sam18437
little robot

« on: April 08, 2013, 04:09:58 pm »

Should I buy it from them anyway and then try to do the "Developer options - Force 4xMSAA" fix you discuss in Subject/thread "Machinarium too slow (unplayable) on Samsung Nexus 10 [SOLVED]". This seems a bit awkward & complicated.

Will Google play even sell it to me if they believe it's incompatible? Will you have a version on Google Play that does not have this problem? Should I buy/download it from somewhere else?

Years ago, I loved Samorost and am eager to play this on my new Nexus 10 tablet. Please advise. Thank you.

Also, on your own website, under Machinarium - FAQ's, someone asks "I want to play Mach. on my tablet is it possible?" You answer "Yes the game is also available for Ipad and Android Tablets", with hot links. When I select Android Tablets, I get a "not found" screen from Google Play, so that link is broken.
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 04:36:53 pm »

Quote from: Sam18437
1. Will Google play even sell it to me if they believe it's incompatible?
2. Will you have a version on Google Play that does not have this problem?
3. Should I buy/download it from somewhere else?

1. AFAIK the Google Play site grays out those devices that are incompatible.

2. Sorry if you're having trouble implementing the known fix (which you've already found and sited) but ~ technically ~ no "problem" exists.    Wink

3. Google Play is the only way to obtain the Android version of the game.

...on your own website, under Machinarium - FAQ's, someone asks "I want to play Mach. on my tablet is it possible?" You answer "Yes the game is also available for Ipad and Android Tablets", with hot links. When I select Android Tablets, I get a "not found" screen from Google Play, so that link is broken.

I'm confused... which "Machinarium - FAQ" are you referring to?  (if you could be more specific we'll see that the dead link is fixed)
Edit: nevermind, i found the FAQ you mentioned at machinarium.net and will submit a fixit ticket ;>

Here is the current link to the Google Play store:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.net.machinarium.Machinarium.GP

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:19:08 pm by Alex » Logged
Sam18437
little robot

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 11:27:12 pm »

Thank you for the extremely quick reply.

Firstly, and sadly, I can now report that you are absolutely correct - as you say, Google Play does indeed "gray out" incompatible devices (#1), and will not allow me to buy Machinarium. So, despite having a new/expensive/latest Android machine, I will not be able to play your game(s) on my tablet. This is quite unfortunate.

Regarding #2 - [Although it doesn't really matter since there is no way I can obtain your game] Yes, the known fix is not difficult and, having taken a brief look at the internet and the Settings on my tablet, I am now able to implement it. However, I do not fully understand your statement that "technically - no problem exists". It seems that a number of problems exist, such as: I cannot play the game. Amanita cannot receive the $5.00 I want to give. And changing "Developer Options" is clearly something they are not eager for users to do, and certainly a more casual one (or one less dedicated to playing an Amanita game) would be put off by it. As well, some brief internet searching suggests that enabling the "Force 4x MSAA" option is not without costs & risks, e.g. decreased battery performance, overheating, and bad effects on other apps.

And for #3 - Since Google Play is the only outlet (except for a brief past appearance in a Humble Bundle), I and all Nexus 10 owners are out of luck, correct? Perhaps somewhere on the website it could say Machinarium plays on Android Tablets - except for Nexus 10/Android Jelly Bean/Version 4.2.2 (and also Kindle, Nook, Nexus 7?) etc.

Of course every user cries for his/her device or operating system to be supported, and I know that developers have limited resources and must make difficult choices. And I clearly do not understand the whole Android world, or the differences between versions. However, I am still quite confused by the following entry on your blog (May 15, 2012):

"Machinarium Now Available for Android Tablets - Amanita Design and Hothead Games have partnered to announce the launch of Machinarium for Android, including Google Play, Amazon’s Kindle Fire and the NOOK App™ store.

Machinarium is available now on Google Play, and will be released this week on Barnes & Noble’s critically acclaimed NOOK Tablet™ and NOOK Color™, both versions priced $3.99. The game will also be available through the Amazon Appstore for Kindle Fire later this month.

The game is compatible with Android tablet devices, and a selection of large-screen Android phones. Please check Google Play Store for details."

As far as I can tell, 1 year later much (most?) of this announcement is currently not true.

Am I missing something? Am I wrong in my understanding that the game is, in fact, NOT available for my Nexus 10 and a significant number of other types of Android tablets? And is it strange that, if I had just happened to get the right Humble Bundle and done your fix, I WOULD be able to play?

I do hope to be able to enjoy Amanita games at some point in the future. Thank you for your attention.

Also, regarding dead link - I believe you found it already, but here are the details: I go to machinarium.net(/demo). At the bottom of the page it lists options "About, FAQ, Download Full Version", etc. I click FAQ and a window comes up. At the end of the list of questions it says "Yes the game is available for Ipad and Android Tablets" with the bad Google Play link.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: