Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:27:52 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't install physical copy [from Merge Games] on OS X  (Read 30860 times)
Botus
little robot

« on: June 04, 2013, 10:26:26 am »

Hi

I've recently upgraded my OS from 10.5.8 to 10.6.8 so that I would be able to play this gorgeous looking game now that I've I bought a physical copy of it. However, when I put in the CD I can't get it to work and simply don't know what I'm doing wrong.

So here's the deal:

When the CD is inserted, an icon pops up on the desktop saying "Botanicula"and picturing a disc. I click on it and the explorer/finder folder opens.

When I then try to open the icon in the _MACOSX folder it says that I "can't open the Botanicula application since it might be damaged or incomplete".

When I instead try to open the regular Botanicula icon in the main folder (that is: the icon that actually shows an image of one of the characters) it just doesn't do anything. The computer seems to react to the action, starting to read the disc and all, but nothing pops up. I've also tried to copy both these files to my applications folder and open them from there, but with the same two results as mentioned above.

When I right click on the icon in the _MACOSX folder the info says that it's sized 0kb. When I right click on the "regular" Botanicula icon, the one that actually looks functional, it proves to be around 700mb of size and says that it's the 1.0.0 version of the game. Does the physical copy perhaps come with a version that is no longer supported? I've tried searching for upgrades but can't find any, probably since I haven't managed to install the game in the first place.

Am I missing something here or should I have gotten it to work with any of the actions I've listed?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 07:23:47 am by Lamkin » Logged
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 05:32:49 pm »

Botus,
I'm assuming the physical copy is from Merge Games. I purchased the Botanicula DVD from them as well and am experiencing the *exact* same problems that you've described. (I'd ordered the DVD some time ago but have only just checked it today.)
Edit #1: I actually ordered two copies....I checked both DVDs, and they both have the same problem.

I'm also running 10.6.8.
I even booted under Mountain Lion and the same thing happens.

Edit #2: Only thing I've found regarding a crash log or report is this from the Console utility:
6/4/13 11:18:30 AM   com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[101]   ([0x0-0x30030].com.amanitadesign.Botanicula[275]) Exited with exit code: 4

I really have no idea what that could mean.

My suggestion is to e-mail support at Merge Games:
customersupport[at]mergegames[dot]com

I'm going to do that as well, of course. I'll post back with any follow-up. (I encourage you to post back, too, once you've received a response from them.)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 06:22:28 pm by Lamkin » Logged
Botus
little robot

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 07:31:51 pm »

Thanks for your response Lamkin! You assume perfectly right that my copy, too, is distributed by Merge Games. I've tried e-mailing them as you suggested and will post anything that I might get in reply so we'll both know what's the matter with this edition of the game.
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 05:48:13 pm »

Yesterday I received an e-mail from Joanne at Merge Games...quoted below:

Thanks for your mail and I am very sorry for the trouble you are having. I am going to get onto Daedalic, as they provided the hybrid master for the game... i will get back to you asap...in the meantime please accept our sincere apologies. We currently run 100% on PCs and outsource any Mac testing. In this instance, we took the master straight from Daedalic, who have always provided us with very technically sound products, but clearly there is an issue here. I will get back to you as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:07:46 am by Lamkin » Logged
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 07:44:06 pm »

Just to follow up with an e-mail I received from Joanne at Merge Games the other day:
After weeks of nothing, I finally got a resolution on Friday... (This was not any fault of Amanita btw, my contact at the intermediary company left his post in the middle of me trying to sort this out with him.) Amanita have provided the latest Mac OS version.. I have asked one of our tech guys to upload this to our ftp tomorrow.

Unfortunately I am unable to put this version onto a retail disc as it is not viable, but hope that this version is a satisfactory resolution..
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:41:53 am by Lamkin » Logged
robtob
little rusty robot

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 05:05:38 pm »

When I insert DVD no installer but
appears only  the disk icon
If I launch botanical.app
nothing happens

Help I bought joust one hour ago
and I think to return it to the computer shop
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 07:54:48 am »

I moved your post here, robtob.
If you read the posts above you'll see that there is a problem with the DVD. :(
Apart from returning the game to the store, you could e-mail Merge games at customersupport[at]mergegames[dot]com to see if they would provide you with a link to download the game. (I kept my two DVDs for the box and cards, etc., as I figured it would be nice to keep those even though the DVDs don't have Mac versions that work.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: