Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:14:42 am

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are my Savegames?  (Read 338946 times)
angrymachinarium
little robot

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2011, 01:21:55 am »

Hi Alex Smiley

And thank you for your reply Smiley

I wan't to play the game and I also wan't my game saving to be reliable, so I wrote a small shell script to start Machinarium and automatically make and restore savegame backups. Use at your own risk Smiley

Copy and paste the text below to a text file and save it to the Desktop with the name: Machinarium.command
Make the script executable by giving this command in the terminal window: chmod 755 /Users/$USER/Desktop/Machinarium.command

Start Machinarium by double clicking on the Machinarium.command. Never start Machinarium directly from the Applications folder, if you do, your savegames will not get backed up and might get deleted.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Flash sometimes deletes all Machinarium savegames.
# Use this script to start up Machinarium and it automatically restores your savegames from backup before running the game.
# When the game ends, the script automatically backs up all savegame files.

echo

cd /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash\ Player

if [ ! -e "SaveGameBackup" ] ; then
mkdir "SaveGameBackup"
else
# Restore savegames from backup
echo "Restoring last savegames from backup" ; echo
rsync -rt -E --delete /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash\ Player/SaveGameBackup/ /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash\ Player/\#SharedObjects/
fi

# Start the game
/Applications/Machinarium/Machinarium.app/Contents/MacOS/Flash\ Player

# The game has ended, copy savegame files to backup
echo "Copying savegames to backup" ; echo
rsync -rt -E /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash\ Player/\#SharedObjects/ /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash\ Player/SaveGameBackup/

# If you wan't this script to automatically copy Machinarium savegames to your Dropbox folder,
# uncomment the line below and replace the last string with the full path to the (existing) Dropbox folder you wan't to store the savegames in.
# Note that the last character in the path must be a forward slash /
# rsync -rt -E /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash\ Player/\#SharedObjects/ /PATH/TO/MY/DROPBOX/FOLDER/
angrymachinarium
little robot

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2011, 12:04:43 am »

Hi Smiley

I just finished the game, what a lovely experience Smiley

I wish the company would have ironed out the savegame problems, and I wonder why they did not, they have had two years to fix it.

My savegames disappeared almost every time I rebooted, even though I had Flash local storage set to unlimited. I used the (OS X) script described in my previous post to run the game, and it restored my savegames from backup every time before running the game if the savegames were not there.

I wonder why the company making the game has not made a fix for the savegame disappearance problem. It is not that hard to solve, even I could make a quick hackish but working fix in 30 minutes.

HappyMachinarium (the user formerly known as angrymachinarium Smiley.
CyberSkull
little rusty robot

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2011, 06:15:52 am »

Thanks! This seems to have fixed it for me as well.

(10.5.8 PPC)

Sincerely,
Your Dread Lord

Un-Certified Looney, Heretic @ Large, etc…
ThePold
little rusty robot

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2011, 04:43:00 pm »

Sad  So fun to play, and then such a bad save system.

I am running XP, with no CCleaner.  My saves survived a reboot, and then disappeared after I closed Machinarium.

I'm not a computer expert - so please help me out. 

Please give step by step instructions for installing and running the script above.  I don't know how to open a terminal window, I'm afraid.
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2011, 10:33:23 pm »

Quote from: ThePold

Please give step by step instructions for installing and running the script above.  I don't know how to open a terminal window, I'm afraid.

That script was written for (and only runs on) the MAC operating system.  

Try this instead:  in the very first post of this thread it says...

By right-clicking on the screen [while the game is running] you get to the Adobe Flash Player Settings Tabs, select the little folder icon.  "How much information can local store on your computer?" Make sure the slider is NOT set to none! At least 100 KB or more are needed!

Give that a try and let us know if that solves your vanishing saved games problem.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:35:56 pm by Alex » Logged
Mortavius
little rusty robot

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2011, 05:48:09 pm »

Hello folks,

First off, great game.

Secondly, save problem.  Obviously, or I wouldn't be posting here.  I'm not going to belabour the point; I'm sure you're aware of the issue. 

My question is this.  I don't use CCleaner or anything like that; the closest thing I have is Microsoft Security Essentials.  I haven't seen anyone mention anything about it on the forums; does anyone know if it does the same thing as CCleaner?  I can't seem to find any options about Cookies in it's settings. 

I've checked my Adobe settings, and it always defaults to 100 KB, even if I set it to unlimited.

I still can't seem to keep a save game.  Any suggestions?  I've been able to locate the directory that my saves are kept in, and I can see the .sol file there, so it looks like the save is still there.  But it won't show up in game.

I'm hoping that someone is able to help; I love this game, but I can't keep playing it when my saves continue to disappear.  I'm sure you understand.

Thanks for any and all help you can provide!
solarmande
little rusty robot

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2011, 11:24:51 am »

So...after QUITE a while and no clear replies, here is what I found for myself:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\LETF3MZ9\localhost\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\machinarium\Machinarium.exe\Machinarium.sol

Obviously this is in Windows, but I am running windows 7 to be more specific.

Now for me, Steam (and flash) is installed on my D: drive, which is I believe part of why this is SO long...but wow.  Even so.  How ridiculous is it that the save file is so deeply embedded in 15 (FIFTEEN!!) folders!?

Anyway, for anyone else searching (and/or if you're willing to just do the copying yourself or if for some reason the batch file isn't working for you or you don't want to use it) for this file, I hope it helps.  For a bit more clarity, it should be in your %users\default folder on your windows drive, and then in the roaming\macromedia\flash folder, however deep (though most of these folders have only one file within them)

****I REALLY hope the Machinarium developers patch this problem, it seems quite a few people are having it and it could really ruin an otherwise excellent game (and reputation).****
hobiesimons
little robot

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2011, 04:56:45 pm »

I am brand new to machinarium and having a problem saving games.
I am using a Mac with Lion.
I did the standard purchase through the app store.
I have read through the posts and verified the flash settings.
I cannot find the library path specified in the posts.
I cannot find the .sol file.
Can we get a single post that is not as cryptic to fix this issue?
How about a game update to fix the issue once and for all?
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2011, 07:28:12 pm »

I am using a Mac with Lion.
I cannot find the library path specified in the posts.
I cannot find the .sol file.

http://machinarium.net/forum/index.php/topic,1095.0.html
Or, to save you a click...
For Mac users, the file path is:
Code:
{YourHomeFolder}/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/#SharedObjects/{RandomSequenceOfLettersAndNumbers}/localhost/
{PathToYourMachinariumInstallDirectory}/Machinarium.app/Machinarium.sol

Once you've navigated to the Machinarium.app* file that is nested within your localhost folder, you will need to Control-click on it and then choose "Show Package Contents" in order to see the hidden/invisible Machinarium.sol file.

* Note that this is separate from the Machinarium application that's in your Machinarium folder.
Also, for those who might not be aware, Mac OS X comes factory-set to hide most file name extensions, so you'll only be seeing the .app file name extension if you've chosen Finder→Preferences and turned on "Show all file extensions."

I have a feeling that where things get tricky for people is when they get to {PathToYourMachinariumInstallDirectory}. I dunno. Let me know if you need more help, hobiesimons.
As for fixing the issue of lost saves, I'm not really sure why it's happening for Mac users. I think that resetting Safari is one cause. But you can always keep a backup copy somewhere of your current .sol file in case you lose your progress again.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 03:06:31 am by Lamkin » Logged
hobiesimons
little robot

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2011, 05:33:02 am »

I have the "Show file extensions" turned on.
I don't know if I am totally missing something or what but I have scoured my finder window and I am not finding the file path mentioned in the post.
I have located the /library/preferences path but there is no macromedia.
I have also checked the Users path and nothing resembling anything mentioned in a previous post.
I have definately figured out to not clear out the cache files for any browser otherwise the saved games are lost.
While making sure not to clear out cache from the browsers, I am at risk until I figure out this code issue.
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2011, 07:38:41 am »

I have located the /library/preferences path but there is no macromedia.
And you're looking in your home folder, correct? Users/{HomeFolder}/Library/Preferences?
hobiesimons
little robot

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2011, 02:18:41 pm »

I think so.
Attached is a screen shot of my finder window.

Mod Comment: Took the liberty of embedding your PDF as we have limited storage space. ~A
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 09:36:43 pm by Alex » Logged
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2011, 05:07:32 pm »

Where the heck is your Library folder? =o0
Hmm...did some googling:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20082044-263/os-x-lion-where-did-my-library-go/
Seems it's hidden in Lion. (I'm still running Snow Leopard. ;o) That article I linked to will tell you how to either unhide it or find it. Then continue on the file path, sir. =o)

I'll update the Mac (.sol file) FAQ to include this info.

Please post back to let us know what happened.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:12:13 pm by Lamkin » Logged
hobiesimons
little robot

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2011, 06:26:25 pm »

Go it.
Thanks
beantricks
little rusty robot

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2011, 09:22:39 pm »

Ok, been on every forum I could find and finally found that I needed to right click on the game screen to correct the "hardware accelleration" and memory size (increase to 10MB).  Ran great and saved for a couple of days.  Then yesterday without turning off my PC (windows XP) I lost all my slots just by quitting game.

I'm not savy enough to add any codes and it took me two hours to find the .sol file when I was first having trouble last week.  Probably that long again if I had to find it a second time. What do I do with the level files I have found on-line?  Or is there really something I can do on my computer to get it to save and not delete?

Rick
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: