Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:58:27 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interview with Jakub Dvorsky (January 2016)  (Read 8020 times)
Priyma
Global Moderator
black cap brotherhood member

Fan from Russia

« on: January 26, 2016, 03:12:40 pm »

I little bit interviewed Jakub Dvorsky for my russian fan-community of Amanita Design.
I share them with you on ENG Smiley

Original post

- Hi, Jakub! I think now no need to ask you the first question in an interview - "Tell a little about yourself and how you founded the studio."  All is already well know of everything about it. Smiley
So, Samorost3 in development for 5 years. It's a pretty long time. But why so long? No limit to perfection?

Samorost 3 is our biggest and most polished project so far. The scale is bigger than Machinarium (we have 5 planets and a few moons in the game to explore) and the level of detail is also far greater than in any of our previous games. The team is still small, just 6 people.

- Should we wait from third part of Samorost something new in the genre of adventure? It may be a small revolution, as did the first part in 2003?

What we do is more steady evolution of our style and adventure genre. The basic mechanics and principles are very similar to our previous games but the game design is smarter and playing more pleasing, in my opinion.

- You often mention that you want replayability of Samorost3, to play it again and again. What you think - did you achieve this?

This is not a question for us. Now we need to wait for the reactions and the feedback from players. I believe that replayability works well at least at certain locations. It will be very individual of course.

- Was it difficult to find the art form for the game? Now it's not just retouched photos, as before... Graphics by Adolf is amazing.

For each new game we develop brand new art-style which evolve from the previous projects. The first two games from Samorost series have backgrounds made like collages from real photos while Machinarium is hand-drawn pencil on paper and coloured and textured digitally. Samorost3 is somewhere in-between. It’s mostly digital painting which is like classical painting just made in computer. We also use a plenty of textures from photos we made ourselves and sometimes even the whole pieces of photos of some interesting objects. The visuals of Samorost 3 are based on art of three people: me, painter Adolf Lachman and animator Vaclav Blín. We work together very closely and make sure we are all on the same wave all the time. It took us around 3 months to develop the final art style from initial drawings to complete visual form of one master location.

- Where are the boots on Gnome? Smiley Do you often simplify something in development?

We decided to redesign the gnome right in the beginning. We wanted him to look a bit more adventurous and active and the skinnier simpler look fitted well. Generally speaking, we try to design everything as simple as possible and throughout the development things tend to complicate.

- In Samorost1 we saved home planet from collision with an asteroid. In the second part we saved friend Dog. What is the main mission of the Gnome be this time?

The main mission in Samorost 3 is not clear almost until the end of the game and I’m not going to spoil it for you. From the beginning of the game you’ll be driven mostly by curiosity and you’ll be exploring your home planet as well as other planets around, later you’ll start to learn what has happened in your universe and in the end the gnome will take things into his hands.

- Will the Dog accompany during the journey and help us?

No, the dog is too lazy, he’ll be waiting for you in his kennel.

- Why do you come out on Steam Greenlight? Before, you got along without it Smiley A small advertising company?

Things are changing and we weren’t sure if we must go through Greenlight or not. It was easy to set up the Greenlight page so we did it without asking. The game was Greenlit in a few days so it didn’t hurt for sure.

- Will be release on Humble Bundle "Pay what you want", as it was with Botanicula?

No, not this time.

And main important question - When release of Samorost3?

We still don't know yet. We'd like to go out in February, but I can't guarantee the game will be ready so it might be also a bit later.

- How's Jaromír Plachý with his new game Chuchel? When wait of official announcement?

He and his team is working hard on the game and it looks incredibly cool and fun, but there’s still plenty of work on it. We’ll announce it along with the trailer and website soon after the release of Samorost 3.

- I wish you to successfully complete the development of such a big project! Smiley Thanks  you, Jakub, and your team. We wait!

Thanks! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:19:23 am by Priyma » Logged
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 06:33:15 pm »

Excellent questions, Priyma.  Smiley
Priyma
Global Moderator
black cap brotherhood member

Fan from Russia

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 04:20:51 am »

Excellent questions, Priyma.  Smiley

Thanks! I forgot to add one QA! I update it Smiley

And main important question - When release of Samorost3?
We still don't know yet. We'd like to go out in February, but I can't guarantee the game will be ready so it might be also a bit later.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: