Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:58:18 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Samorost 2 paid version broken  (Read 38816 times)
nemoDreamer
little robot

« on: October 16, 2009, 02:45:11 am »

First of all, i adore Samorost and have already pre-ordered Machinarium... you guys are awesome!

When i open Samorost 2 on my mac, Flash asks me for authorisation of Local Storage.
I agree and restart Samorost 2 just to be sure.

I enter the code "PLANINA" to get to the 2nd chapter, but then i am stuck:
clicking on the parachute on the ground simply makes the parachute's button disappear without actually releasing the dog.
i can then no longer click on the parachute, the cursor remains an arrow...
i can do the "butterfly > leaf > turn over bug" thing, but with my little guy still hanging there, it's not much use...

then:
thinking that it might have something to do w/ variables from previous levels being needed, i loaded the last level of chapter 1.
here, everything works fine, till i pass through the elevator:
i get a split-second glimps of a loading bar, then a black screen...

after that, restarting Samorost gives me a black screen after hitting "play"...
i can still load levels, but they are all broken.
(for example: the first level of chapter 1 simply shows the robot sitting, but the rocket never arrives, so i can do nothing)

i don't want to raise a fuss, but i've paid money for this game, and it's not behaving!  Cry

i realize i can wait till tomorrow and play Machinarium, but that still leaves me with a broken game i've never even gotten to interact with...

there's a problem w/ loading levels, and now local storage has somehow recorded bad data, since anywhere i place the samorost icon to maybe remove the Local Storage connection, i still get the black screen after "play" and loading broken levels...

i also re-installed to make sure nothing in the package had been broken, but no luck Cry
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 04:12:11 am »

Does this happen even after you've double-clicked the Samorost2.swf file? Is it possible that you are clicking on one of the other, separate, level-specific swf files? I ask this because I also have a Mac, and what you've described, for example, about the PLANINA level happens when I click on the planina.swf file. And, as you'd mentioned, the rocket never comes on the first level of chapter 1 if I double-click the poklop.swf file.
On the other hand, you say that you're able to enter codes for the different levels, so I'm a little stumped there; you wouldn't be able to enter any code if you were to click on any one of the separate files (as none of the text at the bottom of the screen would be displayed). Hmm...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 04:39:24 am by Lamkin » Logged
nemoDreamer
little robot

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 04:36:18 am »

nope, it happens when i click on the "Samorost 2" Mac OS X application file. (which opens Samorost in default browser)
also when i "right-click > show package contents > Contents" to open the .html or .swf manually...
of course, i don't expect opening the level swf's individually to work SmileySmileySmiley

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:41:16 pm by ABoretz » Logged
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 04:49:37 am »

I was editing my message while you were replying to me. =op

Have you tried launching the game using a standalone version of Adobe's Flash Player?
Also, I was under the impression that there wasn't any "Samorost 2" Mac OS X application file, so I'm confused. 8o(
...Flash asks me for authorisation of Local Storage.
And why do I get the feeling that that might be the problem? I dunno. Sorry. I wish I could be of more help.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:01:59 am by Lamkin » Logged
nemoDreamer
little robot

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 04:30:37 pm »

thank you Smiley
yes, bought Samorost 2 days ago, and it comes as a nice .dmg with a single .app in it, that packages the whole thing...

i also have flash standalone 9 & 10, and have tried both...

i have flash set to 'always ask', so websites need authorization to use HD, webcam, mic, etc...
i've searched the internet to find the physical location of Local Storage, so i might manually delete whatever was saved badly, but no luck...

Adobe says to set allowed storage to 'none', which will delete everything, but that doesn't help either.
a.barbini
little rusty robot

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 01:25:37 am »

Hi all,
I am experiencing the very same issue, and I will try to explain it further.

But before that, let me just congratulate with you guys for the amazing quality of Machinarium. Bought yesterday and already finished it, just couldn't stop! Smiley
Amazing quality, and great point and click adventure.

Now, going back to the issue.
On the wave of excitement generated by Machinarium, I decided to buy the full version of Samorost 2.
I downloaded the Mac version, copied the app in my Application folder and started playing the game.
After I while I took note of the code for the accomplished level, quit the game, and went out.
When I got back, I re-launched the game, put the code in, and got stuck.
I'm currently at the "Planina" level, and if I click on the dog underneath the parachute, it doesn't come out as it supposed to do.
At first I thought of a Safari issue. So I tried it in Firefox, same issue.
So I thought of reinstalling the app from the dmg, same issue.
I also tried loading a previous level, same issue: I am not able to go on in the loaded level.
I have also tried to restart the game from the beginning, but soon after you press "play" the screen goes black instead of loading the first level.

Honestly, it's not for the
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 03:35:35 am »

I'd downloaded the Mac version of the game several months ago and I hadn't received an .app file, which is to say that one didn't exist back then. So, perhaps Amanita has uploaded a newer version since that time which is somehow corrupted?
Also, I'm running Tiger and nemoDreamer (obviously) is running Leopard, but I seriously doubt that's an issue.
I feel tempted to have the two of you e-mail me so I can send both of you the files I have to see whether or not those would work, but I'm not sure if that would be frowned upon.
=o(
=o)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 03:44:48 am by Lamkin » Logged
Neil
citizen robot

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 11:40:06 am »

I bought Samorost 2 a while ago and don't have the .app file, any way I can get it?
nemoDreamer
little robot

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 04:10:08 pm »

yes, i think they lowered the price, and packaged it into an .app

i've just finished Machinarium, and have a hole that desperately needs to be filled with Samorost 2! Smiley
but Amanita are probably pretty busy with launch fever right now, so i guess we'll heve to wait...

yeah, Lamkin, sending around files gives me an uneasy feeling. don't want to get on the wrong side of the poison mushroom while i need a problem solved Cheesy

could this be Snow Leopard's fault?
i'm going to move the files inside the .app to somewhere outside, to replicate your conditions...
nemoDreamer
little robot

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 05:05:47 pm »

UPDATE:

i downloaded the latest flash stand-alone (http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html), and also played around with Adobe's "LocalContentUpdater" (didn't do what i expected it to).
this all didn't solve the problem.

then, i moved the contents of "Samorost 2.app > Contents > Resources > html" to a new folder on my desktop, and that works fine! both the .html (browser plug-in) and .swf (stand-alone) work. no problem w/ level loading and the dog comes out from under the parachute Cheesy

so basically, the SOLUTION:

if you're having trouble with the mac app, "right-click it > Show Package Contents" then copy the contents of "html" into a folder outside the .app
i now have a good old working "Samorost 2" folder in my "Applications/Games", instead of the fancy but broken .app Smiley
palec
little robot

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 11:35:03 am »

I've bought Samorost 2 yesterday and had problems with Mac version not working correctly, too.

The problem relies on Flash security settings which prevent flash player to access local files. Generally this makes sense, because without this barrier some websites could access private information from local file system.

The workaround is quite easy (if one is aware of this).

I've attached 4 pictures to describe this.

1. copy Samorost2.app to /Applications (or another location, but this description counts with this)
2. Adobe Flash Player Security window will pop-up
3. click Settings
4. Web site with Flash settings will load in browser
5. in Adobe Flash Player Settings Manager > Global Security Settings click Edit Locations

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:34:51 pm by ABoretz » Logged
palec
little robot

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 11:40:40 am »

Due to total size limit of attachments I have to split the post.

6. Trust this location: window will appear
7. From lower edit box copy the first part of path without Samorost2.swf (otherwise other flash files will be denied) and copy it into upper edit box.
8. Click confirm.
9. That's it.

This is applicable for Mac OS X 10.6.2 with Safari 4.0.4 and Flash Player 10.0.32.18
(Other versions of flash players may behave differently).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:32:33 pm by ABoretz » Logged
palec
little robot

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 11:41:14 am »

Final one.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:30:49 pm by ABoretz » Logged
nemoDreamer
little robot

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 07:19:05 pm »

From lower edit box copy the first part of path without Samorost2.swf (otherwise other flash files will be denied)

... i had tried this, but stoopid me i copied the filename with it, so all the other files would of course still have a problem w/ security access...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: