Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:47:01 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing on a second computer?  (Read 15590 times)
stripelord
little robot

« on: December 09, 2009, 03:12:47 am »

Hi everyone, quick & easy question.  Does anyone know whether you can install Machinarium on more than one machine?  I just bought a new desktop and would like to play M on it.  (I bought it for my laptop).  Is it just a case of copying the Machinarium folder over to the new pc?

Thanks in advance.
ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 04:05:19 am »

Does anyone know whether you can install Machinarium on more than one machine?  I just bought a new desktop and would like to play M on it.  (I bought it for my laptop).

No problem.  Machinarium is DRM free.  Just copy or re-download the installer sent to you onto your desktop machine.  BTW, if you bought the game after November 28 you don't have to hassle with the patches mentioned on the Amanita Design blog.

Also, to insure that your saved games are not later unintentionally deleted read through the "Warning to all Privacy Sweep tools (CCleaner, ASC, etc...) users!" thread and maybe also the "Where are my savegames?" thread if you're a user of such privacy softwares.

Is it just a case of copying the Machinarium folder over to the new pc?

If you mean, "Can I just copy my saved games over and continue on where I left off on my laptop?" then you first need to find the file where they're stored!  On Windows XP the path to the file that contains your saved games (called "Machinarium.sol") is:
C:\Documents and Settings\~your admin name~\Application Data*\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\~random_text~\localhost\Program Files\Machinarium\machinarium.exe\Machinarium.sol

*Note: you will have to turn on "view Hidden Files and Folders" to see the "Application Data" folder
FastEddy
little rusty robot

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 06:23:06 am »

Hi Guys,

I've downloaded the game (and played it and am over the 14 day link to re-download.

But now I would like to put it on my Desk PC for Family to play.

So can I copy files to CD, creat a folder on Desk PC, the copy those files into created folder. Put a Desktop exe Icon on desktop then put the copied Save File into Data Application (of course having deleted my game saves.

Thanks in advance for any comments, Ed in Montreal.

Edited for new problem.

I still have game and saves installed on Laptop. but I've tried to find saves games (I've looked every where, can't find them) but I have them and can load them from the in game Save/Load menu Huh? Huh

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 04:33:50 pm by ABoretz » Logged
stripelord
little robot

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 02:00:41 pm »

Does anyone know whether you can install Machinarium on more than one machine?  I just bought a new desktop and would like to play M on it.  (I bought it for my laptop).

No problem.  Machinarium is DRM free.  Just copy or re-download the installer sent to you onto your desktop machine.  BTW, if you bought the game after November 28 you don't have to hassle with the patches mentioned on the Amanita Design blog.

Also, to insure that your saved games are not later unintentionally deleted read through the "Warning to all Privacy Sweep tools (CCleaner, ASC, etc...) users!" thread and maybe also the "Where are my savegames?" thread if you're a user of such privacy softwares.

Is it just a case of copying the Machinarium folder over to the new pc?

If you mean, "Can I just copy my saved games over and continue on where I left off on my laptop?" then you first need to find the file where they're stored!  On Windows XP the path to the file that contains your saved games (called "Machinarium.sol") is:
C:\Documents and Settings\~your admin name~\Application Data*\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\~random_text~\localhost\Program Files\Machinarium\machinarium.exe\Machinarium.sol

*Note: you will have to turn on "view Hidden Files and Folders" to see the "Application Data" folder

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive answer!   Smiley

I did indeed buy the game before November 28th (got it on release day).  I had no idea about that patch - thank you!  Also, I had that problem with CCleaner deleting my save games, but I managed to find that answer a few weeks ago on these forums.

Thanks again for your help. 
ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 04:41:19 pm »

I've downloaded the game and played it and am over the 14 day link to re-download.
But now I would like to put it on my Desk PC for Family to play.

If you kept the installer (machinarium.exe) file that you originally downloaded all you need to do is copy that file to your family PC and install the game there.

Edited for new problem.
I still have game and saves installed on Laptop. but I've tried to find saves games (I've looked every where, can't find them) but I have them and can load them from the in game Save/Load menu Huh? Huh

Look at my answer to stripelord below - starting from "Can I just copy my saved games over and continue on where I left off on my laptop?"   Smiley

annA
little robot

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 02:22:25 am »

ABoretz

When you say if you kept the exe file, does that mean when I clicked on the email link I should have said save instead of run? if so, then I am guessing I should go back again and this time say save. I just got this today.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 08:06:29 am »

When you say if you kept the exe file, does that mean when I clicked on the email link I should have said save instead of run? if so, then I am guessing I should go back again and this time say save. I just got this today.

Good point!  Yes, you should save a copy of the exe to your computer desktop (or some other place where you'll know where to find it later).

annA
little robot

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 07:13:10 pm »

Thank you very much. I manage to have fun on the computer in spite of myself sometimes.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: