Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:51:58 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A proposal for the Linux version  (Read 10789 times)
Neolander
little rusty robot

« on: May 16, 2010, 11:39:37 am »

Hello, Machinarium devs !

I've recently played the demo online, found it to be a very good experience, and consider buying the full game. However, for some reason, the app has far better performance when running in a web browser than when running using the standalone flash player (sounds illogical, but it's real, alas). The standalone demo runs extremely poorly even on my reasonably powered machine (Athlon 3000+, 1GB ram, Geforce 7800GT).

Disabling hardware acceleration or switching to windowed mode does not help much. However, turning quality to "low" does the trick. The sole visible change is disabled antialiasing, nothing major or aesthetically unpleasing. However, there's a problem : each time you move to another zone, quality is switched back to "high".

Hence my idea :
-> Make sure that the quality setting remains at "low" when it's set so, if possible.
-> If not, make low quality the default, since flash for linux can't do better on the average computer.

What do you think about it ? Is it doable ?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:41:17 am by Neolander » Logged
popsUlfr
Global Moderator
black cap brotherhood boss

Houndeye

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 06:05:07 pm »

I think they would have to recompile all .swfs with default flag set to low. Otherwise there may be way to do it if you extract the .swf contained in the executable and open it in your Firefox. Here's a tutorial which explains how to install a greasemonkey script that forces flash to low: Force Flash Movies and Animations to Low Quality
there's also a bruteforce way by editing directly the plugin: Forcing Adobe Flash to run in "low-quality" mode by default.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: