Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:00:36 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: unable to exit fullscreen  (Read 19138 times)
Acetylene5
little robot

« on: December 30, 2010, 05:07:36 am »

Hi-

I recently purchased Machinarium as part of the humble bundle, and I've been enjoying it so far.  Unfortunately, I'm running into the same slow-mouse issues that have been reported.  I've tried un-selecting the hardware acceleration, but it hasn't worked.  I've also tried to unset the Full screen.  However, I can't manage to find the "menu" at the bottom of the screen.  Anyone have any suggestions? I'm running Ubuntu NBR 10.04.  Let me know if any other information would be helpful.

Thanks!
jreptak
little rusty robot

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 11:43:59 am »

Move your mouse all the way to the bottom of the screen. A menu should pop up.
Acetylene5
little robot

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 05:55:49 pm »

I have tried this.  Many times.  I have been unable to find the magic place on the bottom of the screen which causes the menu to pop up.
Acetylene5
little robot

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 04:58:27 am »

I think I answered my own question... The netbook on which I was trying to play had a maximum vertical screen resolution of 600.  I installed it on my other computer, which had a larger screen, and got it to work.  A different way to get to the menu (i.e. key strokes) would be helpful, but I guess not exactly high-priority.
poacheR
little robot

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 02:13:53 am »

Ran into the same problem today on my netbook-like laptop. The problem is that if the screen's vertical resolution is not enough, the game's menu 'appears' beyond reach at the bottom, as the mouse won't move 'below' the screen edge to bring it up. My resolution at 1024x600 produced this problem.

There's 2 ways to attack this:

1) Easy, but might not work for everyone:
If you have a graphics card which provides the option to do 'Panning' (i.e. the working-size of your desktop is not limited by the resolution, and you can 'pan' from one edge to the other by moving the cursor past the edge of your screen). On Nvidia, go to the main screen where you choose resolution, and click on advanced. A panning entry should appear. 1024x700 is enough height to allow for the menu to be accessible on the bottom. You should be able to click on fullscreen off now. At this resolution / panning combo, the window covers the screen exactly anyway, so you're not missing much in terms of switching to windowed mode from an aesthetic point of view.

2) If you can't do panning, you have to edit the .sol file that Machinarium reads before starting. For me this was /home/taz/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects/9EWPKXU2/#localWithNet/home/taz/Games/Machinarium/Machinarium/Machinarium.sol because my game was installed in /home/taz/Games/Machinarium.

Download a hex editor. ghex or bless from the repositories will do nicely.

Search for either the string "fullstring" or the hex sequence 01 01 00 00 07
(You will see on the 'ASCII' representation you're at a point where it says "fullstring....musicon" or something similar. )

Change the 01 01 00 00 07 sequence to 01 00 00 00 07
This should make the game now start in windowed mode.

From there on, you might still need to enlarge your game window. You can move it about using Alt+drag (if compiz is enabled) allowing you to move it upwards so you can increase its size at the bottom. Unfortunately, you'd have to move the window up and down every time you'd want to access the menu.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: