Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:10:37 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: are they stealing your style?  (Read 21347 times)
sensemille
little rusty robot

« on: February 26, 2011, 09:33:08 pm »

Hello. So there is this new Romanian cartoon on youtube and it's pretty funny (not in english)
but the first thing I noticed was the unbelievable drawing style resemblance to Machinarium, not to mention that the name of the show and the whole theme is Robots...

Here is a link of the first episode or type in the youtube search: creativemonkeyz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvJx_E8E0Rw

I don't know if it's just my imagination or not. I'd love to hear your opinions on the subject.. and pls don't like the video or such, i'm not here to promote them, I'd actually like to see them brought to justice if posible Tongue
Dzikun
little robot

whatever, man

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 02:43:02 pm »

This stuff is rather wacky. Amanita's style is out of their league Smiley
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 08:56:55 am »

Quote from: sensemille

...there is this new Romanian cartoon on youtube...

It's always fun to see some of the ripples that Machinarium has created in the world of creative expression, and if you hadn't taken the trouble to register and post we'd probably never get to see this particular piece, so thanks sensemille! 

You said this is a "new" cartoon series, so I think it's almost certain that it was inspired by Machinarium but I think after that any resemblance to the original comes to an end.  Yeah, animated robots are in vogue now since Machinarium's success as a breakout indie game, but these guys at CreativeMonkeyz are (IMO) only riding that interest to take a more classical direction with their projects.  Yes, they're using animated robots but they're not, to my eye, that close to Amanita's style (and, after all, how many ways can one animate a robot?!)  but what's unique about what CreativeMonkeyz is doing is that they're using robots to play out the old "Fat guy/Thin guy" comedic duo scenarios.

It's classic comedy: one guy walks in from stage left and the other walks in from stage right and they meet center stage to do a comedy bit.  One of them is thin and the other is fat.  (think R2D2 and C3PO).

Also, I would say that the creators have a really keen grasp of animation technique.  I'm in awe of the "ApahFah" "push it! push it! push it!" sequence.  I don't know a lick of Romanian but the message got across and that bit really cracked me up.

This is good stuff.

Mariya
space invader

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:23:46 am »

Only as a guide to Romanian obscene words  Grin
robots are funny...remind me Terrance and Philip from southpark
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 06:31:38 pm »

Quote from: Mariya

Only as a guide to Romanian obscene words  Grin

You mean the bleeped word, yes?  What about the rest of the dialog, did that episode have an "obscene" premise?   Shocked

Mariya
space invader

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 05:27:53 am »

texts are here http://pikannelize.wordpress.com/2011/02/24/robotzi-creative-monkeyz/

"OMFG its pink metallic and it glitters"  Grin
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 10:28:42 pm »

It's too bad we weren't all born with babel fish pre-installed in our ears (as it seems you were, Mariya Cheesy )  But the free goodies pack with avatars and ringtones link at the bottom of that page is internationally understandable.   Grin

igloop
noble citizen robot

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 01:04:18 am »

I don't feel that that looks much like Machinarium at all. But as for style, I instantly was drawn to Machinarium upon first seeing it, because this style in particular is one I've always been fond of. I don't know what it is called, but it is kind of like a surreal type animation that is highly detailed and textured, but has awkward perspectives, and slim type pipes and stairways. Most things are slightly bumpy or wavy, or rather dented, basically not straight clean lines. I've seen several instances that remind me of this throughout my life, but it is a rare look.

it always reminded me of this, http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sy3UEYGx4HI/TAa3tr_-idI/AAAAAAAAAvc/ngWGoi7_mNA/s1600/howls.jpg 
except not in that particular picture,

while completely different looking at this for the first time, reminded me of the same style  http://www.kojimorimoto.net/images/studio4c/tekkonkinkurito/wallpaper01_1024768.jpg

only minor similarities, but if you understand the kind of animation I'm talking about than you know.  Some children may find it disturbing, the art style, but Machinarium is great Smiley
Mariya
space invader

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 04:38:26 am »

It's too bad we weren't all born with babel fish pre-installed in our ears

Just wait a couple of years, and if Steve Jobbs doesnt die of oncology, he will invent something like iHear (which will translate everything)  Cool
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 10:58:54 pm »

Just wait a couple of years, and if Steve Jobbs doesnt die of oncology, he will invent something like iHear (which will translate everything)  Cool

HaHa!  If only you could copyright that name, but I suspect that Apple has gone ahead and already copy written all possible permutations of "i"THIS and "i"THAT.   Grin

Edit:  speaking of Steve Jobs and "i"THIS and "i"THAT, check out this skit.   Wink
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 08:08:04 pm by Alex » Logged
Rainium
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 12:31:01 pm »

The creators of this new cartoon have removed the videos from YouTube due to a massive problem - because of their popularity , people from Romania, of course, were doing advertising in the comments sections of their videos and even downloading and re-uploading the videos so they can get a lot of view too.

I'm sorry for them but here's the good part, all the videos are available on their website. I'm not giving a link 'cause I don't make advertising for unknown companies Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: