Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:23:44 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Resume game status on Mac saved anywhere?  (Read 11266 times)
pixelstuff
little robot

« on: March 24, 2011, 08:48:47 pm »

Hi all
I am on Mac and I played into the game quite a bit but lost the "resume game" state when I accidently clicked "new game". I had no saved games yet.
I wanted to recover the machinarium.app from the system backup but it starts like new, the machinarium.app from yesterday does not remember yesterdays status. Shocked
Does somebody know where the game status is stored? It is not a saved game, but it has to be somewhere on the system, and now in the system backup?
If not I have to do an extra beginner round  Undecided but I thought I just ask  Smiley
thank you!
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 08:56:03 pm »

Visit the Shared Machinarium .sol Files thread.  There you can read up on how to download the location in the game where you left off and continue playing the game from there.

pixelstuff
little robot

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 11:46:03 pm »

I thought .sol files are the saved games? I have no saved games yet and no .sol inside the app package. never mind, I'll play from the beginning. Wish there'd be a fast forward when the robot starts moving...
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 08:03:58 pm »

Quote from: pixelstuff

I thought .sol files are the saved games? I have no saved games yet and no .sol inside the app package. never mind, I'll play from the beginning. Wish there'd be a fast forward when the robot starts moving...

My understanding was that a .sol file is created whenever the game is launched.  Maybe the reason you're not seeing one is this quote from the MacFAQ (which is found in the Shared Machinarium .sol Files thread):  For those who might not be aware, Mac OS X comes factory-set to hide most file name extensions, you'll only be seeing the .app file name extension if you've chosen Finder→Preferences and turned on "Show all file extensions.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:06:36 pm by Alex » Logged
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 11:16:22 pm »

Quote from: pixelstuff
I thought .sol files are the saved games? I have no saved games yet and no .sol inside the app package.

A .sol file is created and saves the progress of your game even if no save slots have been used. In other words, you'll be able to click "Resume Game" and you'll play from where you'd left off. But yes, because you haven't used any save slots, your progress would be lost as soon as you click "New Game."
So when you say that you have no .sol file inside the app package, my guess is that you'd checked in the main Machinarium application—where there isn't a .sol file—instead of the Machinarium.app that is nested within your Library folder. Is that what you'd done, pixelstuff?

Quote from: Alex
My understanding was that a .sol file is created whenever the game is launched.

I believe a new .sol file is created if (a) you're launching the game for the first time, (b) you've moved the Machinarium folder, or (c) you take out the existing .sol file and do not substitute another one.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:55:15 am by Lamkin » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: