Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:59:25 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Game questions for the developers (Flash)  (Read 19239 times)
Beany
little robot

« on: April 27, 2009, 09:47:25 pm »

I've been using Flash for many years and only just found out Machinarium is flash based... so i have a few questions! I think other people will be interested too...

1) Do you guys use Action Script 2.0 or 3.0 for the game?

2) Why use the odd resolution of 1250 x 790, instead of 1280 x 800, or 1280 x 720?

3) Why are you not using a standard widescreen aspect ratio of 16:10 (PC) or 16:9 (TV)? is it because 1250 x 790 is somewhere inbetween these ratios so your reasoning is that it's better to just have very slight bars on both 16:9 and 16:10 screens?

4) Are all images bitmap based? is there any vector graphics at all in the game?

5) Does the game use any of the latest Flash features, like GPU acceleration?

Thanks for your time  Smiley
jd
Administrator
black cap brotherhood member

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 10:14:32 am »

hi,

1) AS 2.0

2, 3) the game will run in 100% size (with option to scale it up or down) so the backgrounds will be perfectly sharp. 1250x790 is usable resolution for screens 1280x1024 or 1280x800 or bigger and you can still play it full screen or in window without scrolling. also we don't mind small black frame around the screen (in full screen mode).

4) there are mostly bitmaps but also some vector graphics (e.g. robot's hands, smoke, water etc.)

5) not yet. we are now investigating all the possibilities. we hope to create also xbla or wiiware version where the gpu acceleration will be needed.
Beany
little robot

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 01:51:32 am »

Thanks JD! Smiley much appreciated.

Just two more questions (sorry lol). How many of you are working on the game? and does one person draw all the backgrounds? i'd imagine it would take AGES (which has me worried about the length of the game)...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 01:55:30 am by Beany » Logged
jd
Administrator
black cap brotherhood member

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 06:20:42 pm »

7 people are in our team at the moment. 1 designer / director, 2 animators, 1 graphic artist, 1 programmer, 1 musician and 1 sound maker.
backgrounds are designed and outlined by me, then drawn on paper and finished in computer by our graphic artist (1 person).
you are right - there's a lot of work in it and even more work is done on all of the animations. but don't worry about the length of the game - it should be fairly long. it's very difficult to estimate the playing time, but it seems it will be longer then we thought earlier. there will be 30 stages or locations in the game and the puzzles will be logical but not easy.
joshysquashy
little robot

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 01:09:16 am »

We hope to create also xbla or wiiware version where the gpu acceleration will be needed.
Great to hear that you are looking at xbla and wiiware. Are still progressing in that direction? Will there be a simultaneous release on all platforms?

I think the Wii remote lends itself perfectly towards point & click games, and its nice to play from the comfort of a sofa!
harlequ1n
little robot

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 02:53:43 pm »

Thanks for the insights on the developing process Smiley I guess I'll purchase it again if you decide to release it on XBLA.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: