Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:38:35 pm

Poll
Question: Which is better - Machinarium or Botanicula ?
Machinarium - 9 (45%)
Botanicula - 3 (15%)
Can't separate - 8 (40%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Machinarium vs. Botanicula [Forum member Poll]  (Read 27105 times)
stevenaaus
little robot

« on: April 24, 2012, 12:58:32 pm »

They're great games... and Flash is lovely when it works (which is mostly  Cheesy - even on humble Linux).
I'm only half way through Botanicula yet - So which is better.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 06:47:23 pm by Alex » Logged
stevenaaus
little robot

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 04:51:22 am »

Machinarium's soundtrack is better as a stand alone thing to listen to,
but damn the puzzles were hard. Botanicula's puzzling is very nice, but a little ... wtf ? I *was* scratching my head at frankenstein's lab for a while.
Vunktabir
citizen robot

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:27:49 pm »

I think the two are not directly comparable. Each of them strikes me different but I like each one very much.

Machinarium's design and riddle logic is very „mechanical“ although very cute and agitating (especially to the end), whereas Botanicula is more an interactive sensorical experience to me, with its riddles being just kind of a side effect of the living world around you.  Cheesy
stevenaaus
little robot

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 11:45:20 pm »

Finished the game now. I got stuck on the sun puzzle piece, but found a walkthrough.... I think Machinarium was a little better, because it had a stronger plot and characters. Great games Smiley
masorost
citizen robot

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 02:56:12 am »

it is hard to tell, which is better - much easier is to compare the games
Machinarium has better artwork, but compared to much more static Machinarium, Botanicula is very "lively" animated and so, visually also astonishing
Machinarium had better, stronger story, but Botanicula is much more creative in the way of telling the story
Both games are very atmospheric in their own way. While Machinarium is a masterpiece in its point-and-click adventure genre, Botanicula is quite uncomparable with anything I have played - it is kind of beautiful, interactive movie, bizarre and beautiful at the same time
as for soundtracks, I consider the Machinarium soundtrack beautiful, dirty and atmospheric, but this time, Botanicula OST is a winner. Not only for soundtrack, but for sound design in its entirety. DVA are not only playing the music, they are also playing with the music. It is way the most creative OST I have ever heard:)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:57:59 am by masorost » Logged
gal.eon
noble citizen robot

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 02:20:56 pm »

I agree that Machinarium and Botanicula are not direclty comparable. I prefer the visuals and soundtrack of Machinarium, as well as its "classic" puzzles and logic. At the same time Botanicula grabs me with its unique creatures and overall creative design.
I still find Machinarium a bit better.
Ximaceo
citizen robot

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 04:45:18 pm »

+1 for Machinarium

I played both and I love it, but Machinarium is deeper.
Lucky Star
little robot

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 05:23:58 am »

Don't ask me to choose. They are both among the finest games I've ever played: unique, captivating and beautiful.
igloop
noble citizen robot

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 02:51:20 pm »

I'm surprised to say that Botanicula is my favourite Amanita experience thus far  Shocked

Machinarium is the game that started my love affair with the charming Indie Studio. The day after i first saw the trailer for Machinarium, i order myself an import copy of the UK Collector's Edition. I had only just found them, but was absolutely mesmerized by them. The art, atmosphere, puzzles, & Humour. It was one of the finest game experiences i've ever had. As much i loved Machinarium, my favourite experience from them, after having played all of their games, was actually Samorost.

Samorost 1 was my absolute favourite game by them, & all the rest were close behind. Machinarium, Samorost2, Questionaut.

That all changed when i finally played Botanicula.

I had been following their development of Osada, Botanicula, & Samorost3

& quite honestly, i wasn't too impressed or intrigued by the images shown. I was looking forward to them, of course. But it wasn't until i saw the first trailer that i got really very excited for the game.

& upon release, playing it... WOW  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

It was absolutely the most FUN i've ever had in a video game.. Never had a game made me smile & laugh so much!!  Cheesy   Cheesy  Cheesy

The artwork was amazingly bizarre, & i never grew tired of the odd exploits of our five new tree friends. To this day, it remains the easiest game to jump into & enjoy at my leisure. It's always engaging, always playful. & i don't grow tired of playing it. It's a game that is so casual in execution, i marvel at how 'tight' the gameplay is, for such an open ended game.

It's an interactive toy, it's a dreamy play world, it's pure joy! It's sadly too short, but i'm surprised at how re-playable it is.

It brings me back to a time when games were all about being FUN & unique experiences. I was in the zany world of forest life for only a matter of hours, but i imagine spending days, no, years their in the future. Completely accessible entertainment, with an atmosphere unmatched.

I also must mention Osada was a surprise for me, Amanita Design has never let me down. & i am extremely excited to have Machinarium on PS3 & Samorost3!!!  Kiss
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: