Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:57:30 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The game is a masterpiece  (Read 57027 times)
lostblues
little robot

« on: October 18, 2009, 01:47:38 am »

From the puzzles to the visuals to the music to the animated interludes - I haven't played a game this exhilarating and enjoyable for many years. The last major release game I played that I truly enjoyed was Mirror's Edge but the story even let that one down. We need more independent games from people with brilliant ideas!

Thank you for making such an excellent game, I hope you all do really well.
james
citizen robot

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 07:22:42 am »

I would have to disagree with you there, the game was decent, the crudeness of some of the sketches for the guide got to me, that and the music could have been better, I ended up turning on some of my own ambiance music instead. The story line is pretty generic and so I can't say it's that bad but I expected something a bit better then just Mario saving his girlfriend again. I do expect something better then flash in the next one as well. The flash environment made the controls, physics and movements of the game a bit annoying. Nothing that people haven't gotten use to but still never the less people don't pay 20 dollars to get use the annoying flash environment, although if people played the demo it was expected.
lostblues
little robot

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 07:31:06 am »

I feel like maybe you're expecting too much from it. I think it pushes the boundaries of what's seemed possible visually, in Flash. But I don't think it should be compared to high-end 3D games developed by huge companies. It's a small-scale, modest (but excellent) point-and-click adventure game, and as far as that goes, I feel like it was done really really well. I guess when a game is this intricate I don't really care about the story so much, but that's probably just me because I love the puzzle aspect and have since I was a little kid when I played games like The Neverhood and Toonstruck (which this seems to draw influence from). As far as the sound goes, I probably just disagree with you, I really enjoyed it. Didn't find the interface annoying either, again I thought it was well done.

Storylines are tough in games, particularly ones where the gameplay is so central to the experience. I like how 'backseat' the storyline is, it gives the game room to breathe without ruining it, which was kind of my problem with Mirror's Edge.
julez
little robot

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:38:34 am »

From what I've played so far, I'm going to have to agree with how great this game really is. I'm trying my hardest not to use the guide but it's definitely been a great challenge.

And to james, 20 bucks for this game is perfect for how creative it is when you think about people paying $60 for games like Batman: Arkham Asylum which only offers 8 hours or so of gameplay that is so linear and shortlived. The flash environment served perfectly the ideas and arstyle portrayed here. I'm happy to pay for this game, and more than happy to recommend it to people I know who love great puzzle games.
james
citizen robot

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 08:00:32 am »

The flash environment has a lot of flaws in which are noticed by average users. A regular big company game is actually $40 dollars USD. It's not a bad thing to expect at least half the greatness from a big company game for half the price. The fact is that this game uses old technology which isn't a bad thing but when the old technology is flaw it needs to be changed or repaired. The images and sketches are a bit eye catching but the real thing that matters in a game is game play and story line. This game was par on each.
madeye
captain robot

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 09:03:40 am »

The flash environment has a lot of flaws in which are noticed by average users. A regular big company game is actually $40 dollars USD. It's not a bad thing to expect at least half the greatness from a big company game for half the price. The fact is that this game uses old technology which isn't a bad thing but when the old technology is flaw it needs to be changed or repaired. The images and sketches are a bit eye catching but the real thing that matters in a game is game play and story line. This game was par on each.

troll alert
morphixmom
little rusty robot

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 09:48:09 am »

What a delightful game!  I have tried to keep in touch with everything by, and related to, Amanita Design ever since I happened across Samarost 1 and fell in love.  I would have happily paid more than the $17 I prepaid a few months ago for Machinarium.  Amanita, your games in the Samorost, and now Machinarium, style are my absolute favorites out of ALL Grin the p and c adventure games I've played.  I hope you will continue to bring more of them to all your fans.  You can definitely count on me to buy every one you create.  Congratulations on another beautiful game.   
lostblues
little robot

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 10:14:54 am »

troll alert

Why? he's just giving his opinion. Just because someone says something that isn't a positive reaction, doesn't make them a troll.
madeye
captain robot

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 10:23:50 am »

troll alert

Why? he's just giving his opinion. Just because someone says something that isn't a positive reaction, doesn't make them a troll.

I can tell the troll when I see one. He creates controversy on purpose and he's hyperactive about it. He may be also an angry customer but he surely isn't honest.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 12:13:17 pm by madeye » Logged
tblrsa
noble citizen robot

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 11:44:18 am »

This Game is well worth the money. Its unique style, the lack of copy protection, the stylish soundtrack and the hand drawn art, really makes it worth your while. The Puzzles are quite hard, but thats okay, i am taking my time with this one.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:45:54 am by tblrsa » Logged
apricotmuffins
little robot

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 02:25:50 pm »

James, I find all of your criticisms appear to be made with your head up your arse.

I think they did an excellent job. No game will ever be to everybody's taste, but I enjoyed it for exactly what it was: A beautifully crafted, intelligently made labour of love.  Amanita Design isnt a big studio. They don't have a fraction of the budget EA might have, but already they have made something more refreshing and creative than most of their games.

One of the reasons you probably didnt enjoy the game because you obliterated it with your own music. How could you!
adamuko
little robot

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 02:33:37 pm »

you used your own ambient music instead of the games own score?? the charms of this are obviously completely lost on you

csira16
little rusty robot

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 02:47:08 pm »

I just got done playing the game yesterday night. I loved the game soundtrack; some pieces stood out more to me than others (like the Jazz tune from that robot band). I'm downloading the soundtrack right now. The story was simplistic, but I liked the execution. It was all explained in thought bubbles and flashbacks. Some of the puzzles were difficult, in spite of the shooter mini games (which I thought was a very cool idea to incorporate into the game), and I remember being frustrated at the game for a while before having to walk away. The 2nd arcade game took me all of 4 hours away from the pc before I finally got it. Nevertheless, if the puzzles weren't difficult, I wouldn't have walked away with a sense of satisfaction. Plus, if a game could get me worked up, that means I'm really into the game. The graphics were obviously spectacular. My only gripe would be the mouse controls (especially with the ball puzzle at the tower, where I had to drag the chain of balls. Sometimes they weren't responsive), but I thoroughly enjoyed the game. It was a good $17 well spent, and I'm definitely playing it all over again. I was a little sad that there was no credit roll at the end of the game; so I decided to register and say a big thank you to all those involved in this project. It was truly a remarkable game, and one that I'll definitely try to get all my other gamer friends to try. Thanks again for making such an awesome game!! I'm totally looking forward to what you guys come out with next!
Genjin
citizen robot

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 03:02:41 pm »

I'm through too now and I agree it's a Masterpiece.
Length, Animations, Style, everything was excellent and contrary to other games you actually have to use your brain for many puzzles.
And as much as james troll's about, he's right about the Flash Enviroment. It has a few downsides like the missing rightclick which could have been used to put an item away with a single click and things like that, those little things that are the fault of Flash annoyed me too for a while but if you get around that you find yourself a game that can be appreciated in all other areas Smiley
Loki108
citizen robot

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 03:33:44 pm »

This game is so perfect! Absolutely brilliant!

I wasn't too excited while playing the demo, I didn't like the thing that I had to scale the robot when I wanted to click on something, and that he has to stand next to objects in order to be able to click on them. I knew what to do, but it was quite difficult to do so. I tought to myself that Samorost2 was better. But when I started to play the full version, my jaw went down immediately. I quickly got used to the controls and it was a plasure to play. Great idea, executed to the smallest detail. Visuals are so nice that I saved some locations just to be able to see them later.. I have read some comments saying that this is one of the best games available, but for me this one IS the best. Thank you Amanita Design for your lovely work, I hope Machinarium will be commercially successful and you will make more games in future.

However, the game has one flaw - there is too many bugs I think, I finished the game with cat in my inventory:) and sometimes Josef the robot appeared on the screen twice. Also some hint bubbles showed the same thing even after completing it, or appeared out of the screen area. But nothing is perfect, I really like the game and recommend it to everyone.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 03:36:00 pm by Loki108 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: