Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:48:11 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] How do I install the game?  (Read 15167 times)
jst65
space invader

« on: June 22, 2012, 05:10:42 pm »

Er, sorry for the dumb question, how do I setup the game? Actually I think there is no need to.
From Humble Bundle I downloaded the 700+ MB file, unpacked it, there's a macosx folder and a botanicula.app file but it does nothing when opened Sad
I am a new Mac user so pleas be kind Smiley
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:12:41 pm by jst65 » Logged
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 03:36:17 am »

A couple of questions:
Which version of OS X are you running?
Is the Botanicula.app bouncing in the Dock and not opening?
Which version of Botanicula is it? Control-click (or right-click) on the Botanicula.app file and choose Get Info. Does it say version 1.0.1?
jst65
space invader

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 05:52:23 pm »

A couple of questions:
Which version of OS X are you running?
Is the Botanicula.app bouncing in the Dock and not opening?
Yep Sad I simply copied the app file in application folder.
It bounces in the dock then just goes away
Which version of Botanicula is it? Control-click (or right-click) on the Botanicula.app file and choose Get Info. Does it say version 1.0.1?
Yes.
Thank you Smiley
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 08:48:16 pm »

Hmm. It could be that Apple's Archive Utility is to blame somehow when it opens the botanicula.zip file. So, you could download StuffIt Expander for free: http://www.stuffit.com/mac-expander-download.html and use it to open the zip file instead of Archive Utility. Of course, you'll have to download the zip file again if you didn't keep it.
StuffIt's site will initially ask you for an e-mail address so you can "be added to their e-mail list," but you can give them a made-up e-mail address to get to the next step to actually download the application. Then use StuffIt Expander to open the botanicula.zip file...easiest way is to Control-click on the botanicula.zip file and choose Open With and choose StuffIt Expander. (The last step, of course, is to double-click on the Botanicula.app that was decompressed from the zip file. Hopefully, it'll work this time.)

If that doesn't work, I see that stooovie had a similar problem and was able to solve it: http://forum.amanita-design.net/index.php?topic=3786.msg11115#msg11115
Though his solution seems a bit overly technical (for me, that is), but I dunno; it worked though.

Also, another permissions solution that's not as technical: If you Control-click on the Botanicula.app and choose Get info, at the bottom it'll say Sharing & Permissions. Assuming you are the administrator of the computer, is your name listed there at the bottom? If not, and you are the administrator, try adding it. Choose Read & Write.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:21:26 am by Lamkin » Logged
jst65
space invader

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 05:12:14 pm »

Here I am Smiley I downloaded Stuffit Expander AND re-downloaded Botanicula, double-click it from the Download folder, did some jumps in the dock and voilà the game started Smiley

So you may be right but it seems that the archive utility worked better this time, without the need to use an external program.

Thank you for pointing me to the right direction Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: