Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:17:39 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Endless loop, then black screen early on in game  (Read 34813 times)
RochDee
little robot

« on: June 30, 2012, 08:57:01 am »

I have just bought Botanicula (a physical copy, CD and all) and started playing on my Mac only to get to the 2nd quest in which you collect keys. In the section where you crack open an egg and follow a flying white creature. When i go down the tree to follow it to the right the creatures go on an endless loop running up and down the tree. I then quit and reload the game only to end up with a black screen. Any ideas how to fix this? It works fine on a PC.
There is a screen shot of the area below in which characters continuously run off to one branch and reappear on another only to come back to the centre and run off again.

Mod Comment: I took the liberty of embedding your image as our forum's storage space is limited. ~A
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:52:18 pm by Alex » Logged
Rayne355
little robot

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 10:56:28 am »

The same thing has just happened to me.
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 09:57:16 pm »

@RochDee and @Rayne355,
Which version of OS X are you running?  ( you need to be running OS X "Snow Leopard"whatever that means)

RochDee
little robot

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 01:48:16 am »

Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on a 2011 MacBook Pro
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 03:22:15 am »

I see that there was a similar problem in this thread:
http://forum.amanita-design.net/index.php?topic=3837.msg11345.html

So, perhaps the version off the CD is corrupted? I don't know. I'd advise e-mailing the developers (support at amanitadesign dot com) in order to see if you can download a new .app file.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:51:11 am by Lamkin » Logged
RochDee
little robot

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 10:13:03 am »

Yes I had read that thread but it didn't help as it was a downloaded copy. I have used the contact us form on their website and hopefully will hear back from that, if not i will try the email above. If that doesn't help, ill get an exchange on the game.
Rayne355
little robot

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 12:06:29 pm »

Snow leaped 10.6.8
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 03:21:43 pm »

Yes I had read that thread but it didn't help as it was a downloaded copy.
Right, I know it was a downloaded copy, but my point in referring to that thread was that it's only logical to assume that the copy on the Botanicula DVD-ROM might also be corrupted.
Or maybe you're basically saying, "Yeah, I could download another file, but I'd still have a corrupted file on my physical copy, so I'd want a replacement DVD"?
Well anyway, please let us know what Amanita's response is.

Edit: I'm also wondering what version of Botanicula is on the DVD. It's probably 1.0, but the Mac version has since been updated to 1.1.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 08:24:03 pm by Lamkin » Logged
littletiltedkitty
little robot

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 10:37:56 am »

Did anyone have a resolution for this topic?

I have just bought the DVD in Brisbane AU.

My System:
V 10.6.8
Processor: 2.2 i7
Memory 8gb

First I played on the DVD which is where I experienced the first loop.  Then I dfigured maybe it was due to playing via DVD, then play via machine and same thing, but different spot in the game.  Restart - Then 'in game' black screen. Restart - Loop again.

I really loved Machinarium and would love to experience this.  Smiley
littletiltedkitty
little robot

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 10:47:45 am »

this being Botanicula.
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 12:09:29 pm »

It seems likely that the file on the DVD is corrupted. RochDee, above, had the same problem and is also from Australia. Did you purchase the DVD from EB Games? My guess is that you both did and, unfortunately, the file on the DVD is probably corrupted.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:30:45 pm by Lamkin » Logged
littletiltedkitty
little robot

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 07:58:49 am »

Hi Lamkin,

Yes bought from EB games.  So the DVD is corrupted?    Cry  Damn

I mean no disrespect, but why does it make a difference based on distributer?  I would have thought that licensed dealers would get their products straight from the manufacturer, wherever they may be based?
I am genuinely curious and would love to learn from this experience.  As now I have another game from EB that I can't even install.   Huh
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 12:47:19 pm »

EB Games is just a retailer, yes. I have no clue who the publisher is, but they would be responsible for the corrupted file. So I would recommend contacting the publisher...however, looking at shots of the box (both front and back), I don't see the name of the publisher, so I would recommend e-mailing Amanita Design to help you with this issue. (I'm assuming they would know who the publisher was.) You can use the form at the bottom of this page:
http://amanita-design.net/contact.html
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:16:51 pm by Lamkin » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: