Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:11:14 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't beat 5 in a row  (Read 39234 times)
slenox
little rusty robot

« on: November 19, 2012, 01:12:40 am »

Hi.
I tried about a hundred times now and I can't beat the 5 in a row game.
There's a thread in the PC version QnA forum that gives a strategy but the bot moves completely different and seems unbeatable.

My phone is a Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.1.2 in case it matters.

Thanks for any help.
~s
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:18:48 am »

To date no one has written to tell us that Lamkin's Gambit was unsuccessful on any of the several platforms Machinarium has been ported to.

I looked it up and see that your Galaxy Nexus has a screen size of 4.65 (inches)...  wow!  That is a VERY small viewing field.  I'm not surprised that you keep failing at this puzzle.  There are many places where you could go wrong!

Have a look at this version we found a while ago that someone put together of The Lamkin Gambit...  maybe if all the right moves are on one screen for you to see you'll have better luck at getting it right.

Please write back when you finally solve this puzzle.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:27:27 pm by Lamkin » Logged
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:46:15 pm »

If that pattern doesn't work, I do have some advice on strategy. Using the above image, see how the row that has 1 and 3 crosses the row that has 5 and 4? They cross at 8. 8 being the third piece for each row. My advice is to *always* set up two rows of two pieces each so that they will cross at the third piece. But wait to put down that third piece. Instead, put down the fifth piece in each row—6 and 7 in the example above—and *then* put down that third piece.
Hope that makes sense. =)

Edit: Example game below. Note that you're going to have to block his moves on occasion. Also, you might want to try working backwards with the placement of your rows...meaning specifically your first four pieces...the example below shows what I'm talking about.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:26:29 pm by Lamkin » Logged
Lorinan
little robot

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 06:01:42 am »

I just got the iOS version and I have the exact same issue, and NONE of the solutions work.  As for screen size, that is irrelevant as you can pinch to zoom in if you need,but I find I have no issues with seeing the entire game board.  The problem is EVERY SINGLE trick I have found fails horribly within the first 3 moves.  Something was done to make the iOS version unplayable (at least the one they gave via the starbucks app of the week) when it comes to beating this puzzle.
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 02:31:06 pm »

Something was done to make the iOS version unplayable...when it comes to beating this puzzle.

Yeah, it's definitely...different. And my Gambit fails pretty miserably on iOS. My advice is still to try and set up two rows of two pieces each so that they will cross at the third piece. And always block once the old guy has three pieces in a row. Other than that, I'm not sure what other advice or suggestions to give you. :(
pg23
little rusty robot

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 10:34:48 am »

The only way I got past this challenge was to involve another computer...
Go to http://www.javascripter.net/games/xo/xo.htm
Set the board size to 10x10
Then copy what the robot does in Machinarium into the javascript programas "X"s and play back the jacascript move (the "O"s) into Machinarium. It took a couple of tries but it did succeed in the end.
I like a challenge in a game but not one so stupidly difficult...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: