Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:29:24 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Compatibility with OSX Mavericks?  (Read 13970 times)
Timagination
little rusty robot

« on: October 30, 2013, 01:58:43 pm »

I played this game for the first time a few days ago after having read about it on Salon.  The demo ran fine on my MacBook Pro, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.9.  When I paid for and downloaded the full version, I found that it will not open, and I get the following message:

"Botanicula" can't be opened because it is from an unknown developer.

I sent a query to customer support and I got back what seems to be a"canned" response, simply advising me to check the system requirements.  I did, and my system meets or exceeds them all.

I expected better support.
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 04:44:41 pm »

Hi Timagination.
I'm not the Mac Xpert here but when I searched The Web for "can't be opened because it is from an unknown developer" I discovered that to be the standard error message OSX's security feature (called "GateKeeper") displays when it can't recognize the software you're trying to launch.

There's a work around and a permanent fix described here: http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/27/app-cant-be-opened-because-it-is-from-an-unidentified-developer/

Hope this helps.

Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 07:56:44 pm »

I'm kind of the go-to Mac guy on here (though I'm no expert, either). Yeah, I would second what Alex said that this is probably a Gatekeeper issue. And even though that link refers to 10.8, I'm assuming disabling Gatekeeper is pretty similar on 10.9.
Edit: Here's a shot of the Security & Privacy pane in 10.11 (El Capitan):

Change it to "Anywhere" and that will hopefully solve the problem. Let us know. :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 09:31:35 pm by Lamkin » Logged
mendovino
little rusty robot

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 08:54:21 pm »

I found a work around for this problem. Just control click on the app and choose 'OPEN'. It is a security issue that is easily remedied.
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:29:27 pm »

I found a work around for this problem. Just control click on the app and choose 'OPEN'. It is a security issue that is easily remedied.

Yes, Alex mentioned in his post above that there is a workaround in the link he provided. Thanks for mentioning it specifically. I hadn't because I figured the easiest remedy would be to go with the permanent fix and disable Gatekeeper entirely. :)
Edit: Eh, I've since reconsidered and agree that the solution Alex and mendovino mention is the best...Control-click on the app itself and choose 'Open' from the menu, because if you do that once, the app will always open without any issues from that point on...and that way you don't have to disable Gatekeeper.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 09:32:24 pm by Lamkin » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: