Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:45:51 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost save game!  (Read 16772 times)
fluffer313
little robot

« on: May 21, 2014, 09:47:57 pm »

Not sure whether I should be posting here or in the dedicated "lost save game" area - the instructions there don't seem to be relevant to the Windows 8/RT version...

So I was playing the game and the screen of my Surface Pro went black. Never done it before or since. When I went back to Machinarium, all my progress and save games were lost.

I've located what looks like the save game file here:
C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Packages\AmanitaDesign.Machinarium_e71kze8xzb92g\LocalState

It's called "machinarium_save.bin" - does that sound right? There's only the one file there, no backups.

Not sure whether any of this is helpful or whether it's possible to get my game back. If anyone has any suggestions then I'd be eternally grateful!
Lonicera
citizen robot

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 05:05:09 am »

Not sure whether I should be posting here or in the dedicated "lost save game" area - the instructions there don't seem to be relevant to the Windows 8/RT version...

So I was playing the game and the screen of my Surface Pro went black. Never done it before or since. When I went back to Machinarium, all my progress and save games were lost.

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Packages\AmanitaDesign.Machinarium_e71kze8xzb92g\LocalState

It's called "machinarium_save.bin" - does that sound right? There's only the one file there, no backups.

Not sure whether any of this is helpful or whether it's possible to get my game back. If anyone has any suggestions then I'd be eternally grateful!

That file's a .bin file I believe...  not sure how to open those but it's usually just a sort of 'bookmark' file AFAIK - could be very wrong about that though.

Have you tried doing a Restore?  It might be worth checking to see if you've got a recent Restore point - it may not get you right back to where you were in the game but perhaps some of the way.  (Don't use Restore if the last date shown predates your installation of Machinarium or any other important program installations...  but I expect you already knew that.  Smiley

Hoping that may be a little helpful...  sooooo frustrating I know!   Good luck!
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 08:57:18 pm »

Quote from: fluffer313

You're the first person to ask about lost saved games on Win 8.

Have you tried searching for "machinarium.sol" (using the "show hidden files" option)?

Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 01:31:15 am »

It's called "machinarium_save.bin" - does that sound right?

Yes, that is correct. Quote from Amanita support:
I believe some people also asked about the location of W8 save files:
C:\Users\Someusername\AppData\Local\Packages\AmanitaDesign.Machinarium_something\
LocalState\machinarium_save.bin
 "Someusername" and "something" - this parts are different on each computer.
fluffer313
little robot

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 10:15:48 am »

Hi all - thanks for your suggestions and help so far!

Have you tried doing a Restore?
Yeah I had a look but there's no useful restore point available.

Have you tried searching for "machinarium.sol"
Yep, I found all sorts of .sol files but none for Machinarium

@Lamkin - thanks for verifying that the save game file is correct. I'm going to try renaming a machinarium.sol file to machinarium_save.bin. This one is alsmost exactly where I am in the game - http://forum.amanita-design.net/index.php?topic=4624.0.html

Otherwise, I'll try opening the .sol and .bin files and see if there's anything human readble in there.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 04:03:17 am by Lamkin » Logged
fluffer313
little robot

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 12:37:37 pm »

I tried renaming the machinarium.sol file to machinarium_save.bin but it didn't work. Presumably the data is saved in a different format.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Lonicera
citizen robot

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 01:38:26 pm »

I tried renaming the machinarium.sol file to machinarium_save.bin but it didn't work. Presumably the data is saved in a different format.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I don't know if any of this will help, but...  maybe...   you've likely already done the going to the Machinarium folder:  "C:\Users\Uxxxxr\AppData\Local\Packages\Machinarium ........." & right clicking on the folder, & then on 'Properties' bit to get more info, but have you tried the 'Scan for deleted files' option that's in that same right click menu?  Might...  a big might...  tell you if the files are gone.  If you think they may well have been deleted or removed, may I suggest downloading a very useful free program called 'Recuva' - a file recovery program, it rescued all my lost emails that Windows Live had mysteriously deleted for some reason so it worked well for me:  http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Other than that, maybe check that Surface doesn't store all game saves, not just MS games, in your Cloud...  also, have you asked about this on the Microsoft Community Support Forum - Gaming:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/gaming?tab=Threads

Good luck!   Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: