Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:22:04 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Samorost 3 Menu Guide  (Read 80423 times)
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« on: March 27, 2016, 12:18:49 am »

Seems we could use a menu guide for the game, as having no text might be a tad confusing for some. (Though I believe that was done to eliminate any issues with somehow not getting a version with one's native language.) So here are some screenshots with annotations.

So first up, we have the MENU. This is what you will see once the game is launched. It's the little white star in the upper-right corner:

Click on that star (you can also press the Esc key) and you'll see three different icons; from left to right you have LOAD game, SAVE game, and your SETTINGS:

And in case it's not obvious, you'll always need to click on the star (or press Esc) again to get out of the MENU. Also note that there isn't a SETTINGS icon in the iOS or Android version of the game.

Click on the SETTINGS gear symbol and you'll see a screen with four different icons; from left to right you have QUIT, CREDITS (Info), FULLSCREEN/WINDOWED TOGGLE, and SOUND adjustment:

(Again, just to note that there isn't any SETTINGS gear symbol in the iOS or Android version of the game, though there is a CREDITS icon located in the main MENU.)

Back on the main MENU, click the icon with the down arrow to SAVE the game, and you'll see a screen with several circles, which are your save spots. Click on an empty circle to create a save of your current screen/location. Note that you can overwrite an existing save by clicking the 'x' underneath a save circle to clear it, though the first circle cannot be cleared because it's how you restart the game from the beginning (more on that below). Also note that you do not need to create a save spot when quitting, as your progress is saved automatically; the next time you launch the game, you'll continue from where you'd left off. Furthermore, the game automatically creates a save spot each time a new planet is reached.

Back on the main MENU again, click the icon with the up arrow to LOAD a game, and you'll again see a screen with several circles (save spots). Click on a circle with a picture to load that particular saved game. Note that to restart the game from the very beginning, click on the first circle (numbered '0') showing the observatory house of the space gnome.

But that's not everything, nope. As you play the game, clicking the star will show you up to three new icons; from left to right you'll have the WALKTHROUGH BOOK (shows up on its own pretty much immediately), ACHIEVEMENTS (this icon will show up once you've gotten your first achievement), and what I refer to as the LORE BOOK (which will show up once the book has been found in the game).

Here is a shot of the front of the WALKTHROUGH BOOK. There are three concentric circles that can be rotated:

You’ll want to line up the orangish seeds in each circle, like so:

Doing so will open one of the closed eyes in the center; repeat the process to open the other eye and you'll open up the walkthrough book. (Note that the locations of the seeds are random, so the patterns will be different each time you use the book.) Opening up the book reveals pages which show a visual walkthrough for whatever screen you happen to be on.

The LORE BOOK contains a bit of backstory in pictures (similar to the style of a comic book); it's a visual explanation of several pertinent events that transpired just prior to the beginning of your adventure. The front of the book looks like this:

Note the Roman numeral I on the bottom of the cover which indicates it is only the first volume—there is a second volume (with the Roman numeral II on the bottom of its cover) that can be found later on in the game. Once the second volume is discovered, both books will be displayed side by side.

I'm not going to show a shot of the ACHIEVEMENTS screen because it would be a bit spoilerish, I suppose.
(For those unfamiliar with achievements, they’re basically awards or badges that the player may earn by completing a specific task in the game. But most of the achievements in Samorost 3 are optional, and the rest will pop up on their own automatically as you progress.)

That's it for now. I'll probably be editing this a bajillion or so times over the next day or so…just a heads-up. Smiley And any feedback is welcome.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 11:15:20 am by Lamkin » Logged
serena
little robot

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 12:25:10 am »

Thanks for this. It took me a while to figure it out myself, especially which was save and which was load.

I hadn't noticed achievements yet so thanks for pointing out that it exists.

Edit: I just checked achievements and if you click on one of them, something nice happens.

I also just noticed that if you exit the game by mistake without saving (as I just did, oops) it picks up where you left off automatically. That's a handy feature.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 12:27:51 am by serena » Logged
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 12:33:22 am »

You're welcome. Yeah, I noticed that about clicking on an achievement. Very cool. Smiley
Claas
little robot

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 05:04:45 pm »

Just my 2 cents: I found it totally self-explanatory. Great, thanks!
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 05:52:14 pm »

Just my 2 cents: I found it totally self-explanatory. Great, thanks!

I agree that it is, yes, but for several people (including myself), it took a minute or two to figure everything out (though some things, like the sound icon, were no-brainers); the guide is simply meant to help people figure things out a bit more quickly.
armel h
little robot

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 05:53:16 pm »

I just checked achievements and if you click on one of them, something nice happens.

Hehe, in fact something nice and so coool happens if you click on ALL of your achievements, one by one...
Philipsonh
little robot

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 05:34:09 pm »

I am a senior citizen 'struggling ' through thse games, which are difficult for me, and I greatly appreciate the guidance. I played through Machinarium two times
before feeling comfortble with the knowledge that I understood the game ( but I admit to using multiple walkthroughs in order to get all the help I could, as each
offered instructions in a different manner ). Insofar as Samorost 3, I spent a lot more than a few minutes attempting to figure out how to manipulate the menu, and the posts on this board are of great help ( Once I located them ).  Thanks
SleepyUser
black cap brotherhood member

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 09:21:46 am »

I am a senior citizen 'struggling ' through thse games, which are difficult for me, and I greatly appreciate the guidance. I played through Machinarium two times
before feeling comfortble with the knowledge that I understood the game ( but I admit to using multiple walkthroughs in order to get all the help I could, as each
offered instructions in a different manner ). Insofar as Samorost 3, I spent a lot more than a few minutes attempting to figure out how to manipulate the menu, and the posts on this board are of great help ( Once I located them ).  Thanks

To be honest I believe that a lot of players have used walkthroughs (the in-game one or on the internet), me included. There are certain puzzles that you won't understand at first, and I didn't understand the logic even after completing them Cheesy like switching and connecting wires.
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 07:36:05 pm »

Quote from: SleepyUser
To be honest I believe that a lot of players have used walkthroughs (the in-game one or on the internet), me included.

True true, me too!   Grin   I also keep a notepad nearby to record key patterns (like when we had to switch and reconnect all those fuses to cancel the bomb in Machinarium)

By the way, welcome to the forum Philipsonh.  You're in good company… we are ALL happily confused here!   Cheesy

SleepyUser
black cap brotherhood member

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 11:26:16 pm »

Quote from: SleepyUser
To be honest I believe that a lot of players have used walkthroughs (the in-game one or on the internet), me included.

True true, me too!   Grin   I also keep a notepad nearby to record key patterns (like when we had to switch and reconnect all those fuses to cancel the bomb in Machinarium)

By the way, welcome to the forum Philipsonh.  You're in good company… we are ALL happily confused here!   Cheesy

Gosh, the bomb puzzle!! Cheesy The first time I actually did it in one try, was speed solving that wire labyrinth. On my next playthrough it took me a second try. Cry
brucees
little rusty robot

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 05:48:55 pm »

What does the grasping hand animation mean? What do I do when I encounter the grabbing/grasping hand animation? Thank you.
Alex
Global Moderator
mayor robot

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 06:57:00 pm »

Quote from: brucees
What does the grasping hand animation mean? What do I do when I encounter the grabbing/grasping hand animation? Thank you.

Sorry, which game are you referring to?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: