Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:08:08 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why oh why doesn't it have a minimum screen resolution on the requirements!?!?!  (Read 27531 times)
bsoplinger
citizen robot

« on: October 17, 2009, 10:20:38 pm »

I downloaded the demo, played it, loved it. Signed up for a pre-order. Now I have a game I can't play because my screen is too small.

The problem is that the demo left out 1 very important item, the menu. The thing at the bottom of the screen I can't access Sad

Its understandable that the demo didn't have the menu, there wasn't really any reason to have it for the demo, but without it I didn't realize that a game which seemed completely playable in a demo wouldn't be playable for real Sad

I have a netbook. Runs Win 7 and OS X both quite nicely. Runs the demo of Machinarium quite nicely under both OSes. But it only has a 1024x600 screen. So I can't access the menu. Didn't even know there was a menu there til I started the real game Sad
Genjin
citizen robot

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 02:48:55 pm »

Actually the Demo had the menu too. Actually 1280x800 became the default Resolution for games like this, and it's a very good choice as resolution. Sadly, some like you can't enjoy it to the full extend, however I think you are in luck: Since Machinarium is Flash based, they provided you with a option in the bottom menu "Window Size: 100%" click on that and choose 80%. For Users with smaller Resolutions like yourself it probably helps.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 02:53:44 pm by Genjin » Logged
bsoplinger
citizen robot

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 04:52:44 pm »

That's the whole problem, although it seems like entire game screen is on my viewable screen, moving the cursor to the bottom of the screen doesn't make the menu appear. Without the menu I can't do that. More importantly I can't save a game, load a saved game, do anything.

I've played the game up through the prison cells and did the under the cells thing to get out, so I can feel pretty sure more than enough of the screen is visible to play.

All I think the game would need to be usable would be a menu button in the top. It could go on the right with he hint and show the solution buttons.
triptogenetica
little rusty robot

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 07:46:06 pm »

I also have a 1024x600 netbook. 

But, if you go to "Graphics properties", you can set the screen resolution higher. 

I have mine set to 1024x768.  When i need the bottom of the screen, a quick mouseover causes it to scroll down.  When I need the top, mouseover there!

Hope that helps.
jd
Administrator
black cap brotherhood member

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 07:52:54 pm »

please read system requirements on the web carefully:
minimum screen resolution: 1024x768 (1280x800 or higher recommended).

bsoplinger
citizen robot

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 10:04:03 pm »

please read system requirements on the web carefully:
minimum screen resolution: 1024x768 (1280x800 or higher recommended).

That's what I'm saying, that isn't there, or if it is now it wasn't there before today. And it runs fine, plays fine, all it would take is a way, any way, to get to the menu and I wouldn't be complaining at all. As of now I have a machine that met the requirements when I bought it. *sigh*

I really would like to keep the game, keep the folks who brought this to life paid. But currently my only option is to attempt to get a refund. Sad

And I  don't have a 1024x768 option for my screen, wish I did. Great suggestion though, thanks.
felicius
little rusty robot

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 11:38:00 pm »

Haha, i just completed the game, and haven't realized there's a menu until now! Of course , i noticed that it was... Unusual.
I use a netbook in 1024x600 too, but the game saves automatically when i close it, with alt+F4. You should try.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:41:25 pm by felicius » Logged
andykisaragi
little robot

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 08:38:59 pm »

Had the same worry, my screen won't go > 1024x600, but like the previous poster found that my game was saved automatically. I'm dying to know what other joys are in the menu though...

bsoplinger
citizen robot

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 07:09:55 am »

Had the same worry, my screen won't go > 1024x600, but like the previous poster found that my game was saved automatically. I'm dying to know what other joys are in the menu though...

Since my problem was that games weren't being saved I figured it was all because of the missing menu...

But then felicius' post that the game automagically saves when you exit made me look at other postings about saved games and find the Flash setting about amount of local save space allowed. Since mine was set to 0 that was why there weren't any saved games. This was unrelated to the Firefox extensions and other privacy programs folks were having problems with, this was a basic Flash player setting.

Once I got that fixed I was able to play the game like Felicius and you, with just the automagic save at exit.

But I found a way, since I run OS X on my netbook, to run the entire application scaled down to %76 of real size allowing me to see the menu. Since I was curious what I was missing too Wink

So here you go:

An about and credits tab.
A save game choice leading to 6 slots, each with a graphic preview of the page being saved.
A load game choice, leading to the above 6 slots.
A view at 80% vs 100%% choice.
A fullscreen or not checkbox
A sound level slider.
An explicit exit option.
pramm
little rusty robot

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 04:11:48 am »

Hi,

I had a similar problem that was solved this way:

1. Machinarium icon (desktop): right click
2. Go to Properties
3. Choose Compatibility > Disable display scaling on high DPI settings