Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:55:05 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Console release  (Read 31483 times)
noego
little robot

« on: June 23, 2008, 12:57:33 am »

This would work perfectly on Xbox Live Arcade. Think about it.
dg10050
Global Moderator
captain robot

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 02:45:17 pm »

The issue is that it's a point-and-click game. Point-and-click games usually fail on consoles because the controls are more suited for a PC.
TiMOS
little robot

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 04:57:24 pm »

I think it'll perfectly suit for Wii Smiley
LucidShadows
citizen robot

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 11:21:35 am »

Yes! Just what the Wii needs, an organic & detailed game like this! Wii controllers are the definition of point & click, definately something to consider!
Shadestorm
little robot

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 06:23:05 am »

The issue is that it's a point-and-click game. Point-and-click games usually fail on consoles because the controls are more suited for a PC.

That opinion has been outdated for a while now. If games like Half Life 2 (FPS) and Command and Conquer 3 (RTS), two games from genres long believed to be implayable with a controller, can sell well on the Xbox, surely it's not so hard to get past the "Genre X won't work without a mouse!" paradigm.

Amanita Design, I'm not sure if you're developing Machinarium in Flash like the Samorosts, but if you're using any C-based language it should be easy to port to XNA, Microsoft's Xbox Open Development Platform.
Something like Machinarium would rock Xbox Live Arcade; so many of us Xbox users are getting tired of the "fast-food" games that inhabit the platform.

Check out XNA, Amanita Design
dg10050
Global Moderator
captain robot

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 10:24:27 pm »

That opinion has been outdated for a while now. If games like Half Life 2 (FPS) and Command and Conquer 3 (RTS), two games from genres long believed to be implayable with a controller, can sell well on the Xbox, surely it's not so hard to get past the "Genre X won't work without a mouse!" paradigm.

Amanita Design, I'm not sure if you're developing Machinarium in Flash like the Samorosts, but if you're using any C-based language it should be easy to port to XNA, Microsoft's Xbox Open Development Platform.
Something like Machinarium would rock Xbox Live Arcade; so many of us Xbox users are getting tired of the "fast-food" games that inhabit the platform.

Check out XNA, Amanita Design
Go play Syberia on the Xbox, Myst on the PSP, or any other point-and-click game that's been ported to a console, then come back here and tell me that Machinarium will work on consoles. I'm not talking about FPS's or RTS's here. You may say that RTS's have a similar control style to point-and-click adventures, but they really don't. In an RTS, you know exactly where you want to click. So on a console, it's not that difficult to use the analog stick to direct the cursor to where you want it to go. However, with point-and-click adventures, you don't really know ahead of time where you want to click. You keep moving the cursor around to various objects and seeing which one is the correct one to click. With a mouse, this isn't a big deal since it moves pretty quickly, but it's still very precise. But with an analog stick, the developers have to balance precision with speed. Most of the time, they determine that precision is more important than speed, so they make the cursor move slowly. Like I said before, this is fine with RTS's since you know ahead of time where you want to click, but with a point-and-click adventure, that slow-moving cursor can be absolute hell.
Note: This obviously doesn't effect the Wii. I do think a Wii version would be pretty cool.
Note 2: Syberia's controls were actually adapted to a console controller in the Xbox port. The analog stick moved the character instead of using a cursor. There were still lots of control issues because of the fact that the game was originally designed as a point-and-click game, so many of the puzzles became obscenely difficult with the new control-scheme.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 10:28:12 pm by dg10050 » Logged
Shadestorm
little robot

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 09:19:33 pm »

You're thinking is too absolute, and I think you missed my point. Before Halo on the Xbox, everybody thought that FPSs could not work on a console without a mouse and keyboard. Before Battle for Middle Earth on the Xbox, everybody thought that RTSs could not work on a console without a mouse and keyboard. Those games came out, and were successful, and suddenly everybody had a paradigm shift: "FPSs work on consoles!", "RTSs work on consoles!" And now nobody looks at those genre's as being mouse-bound.

You've got a long list of reasons why a point-and-click game couldn't be made on the console. So did everybody else for the previously-stated genres before the aforementioned games came out.
You've even got examples of point-and-click failures on the console. So did everybody else for the previously stated genres before the aforementioned games came out. Doom, Quake, Hexxen, Duke Nukem for the N64. Starcraft for the N64.

Until those other development houses came along, those genres were taboo on a console. It's a dream of mine that Amanita Design could be the one to shift everyone's paradigm: "Point-and-click games work on consoles!"
How does that sound?
dg10050
Global Moderator
captain robot

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 12:24:40 am »

Notice what happened for these new genres to become successful on consoles?
New controllers were invented.
Doom, Quake, Hexxen, and Duke Nukem didn't work with the N64's single analog stick. But with the release of the Xbox and it's dual analog controller, FPS's and RTS's work. (Though I still hate RTS's on consoles)
Guess what new controller was just recently invented. The Wiimote. And guess what. Sam and Max Season 1 and Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (two point-and-click adventure games) are being released on the Wii within a month.
Zero Gunner
little robot

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 12:11:54 am »

Personally I'd love to see this on XBLA. Sorry but the whole "adventure games can't work on a console except the Wii" is complete bull-crap rhetoric. There's absolutely no reason a functional control scheme couldn't be devised to make this game work on XBLA and PSN....And reality check for the Wii crowd; the "soccer moms" buying Wiis aren't going to pay this game any attention. Bring it to XBLA where gamers have already PROVEN that they want innovative indie content!
dg10050
Global Moderator
captain robot

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 04:29:46 am »

Personally I'd love to see this on XBLA. Sorry but the whole "adventure games can't work on a console except the Wii" is complete bull-crap rhetoric. There's absolutely no reason a functional control scheme couldn't be devised to make this game work on XBLA and PSN....And reality check for the Wii crowd; the "soccer moms" buying Wiis aren't going to pay this game any attention. Bring it to XBLA where gamers have already PROVEN that they want innovative indie content!

There have actually been a lot of people who are angry about Braid (a very good indie game) costing a "whole" $15 on Xbox Live Arcade. Apparently it's still managed to sell well, but you still have to realize that the Xbox demographic does not tend to care for "innovative" games. (Note: I do own an Xbox 360 and I'm not trying to put all Xbox owners into one group, but a large majority only cares about the next Halo and Madden games)
bibendum
little rusty robot

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 10:35:56 pm »

seems perfect for an iPhone...

p
joshysquashy
little robot

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 12:38:04 pm »

I too would like to see this on Wii, and it would work well with the WiiMote (point and click).

Would it be too large for WiiWare? Cause with traditional games you have to consider distribution costs.
Kristian
little robot

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 08:33:29 pm »

Yes Machinarium perfect for (My) İpod Touch or İPhone.. Smiley but "disadvantage" tiny screen Undecided
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 12:24:57 am by Kristian » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: