Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:44:47 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hotspot problem in Machinarium [Windows7 display settings fix]  (Read 41385 times)
Isaak_Ironsides
little robot

« on: December 20, 2009, 09:48:30 pm »

I've just bought Machinarium and installed it. Whilst it runs fine, all the hotspots (clickable areas) are off by about half an inch onscreen. This means that to click the 'New Game' option on the start screen requires me to place my mouse cursor on the 'Resume Game' option. This persists through to the actual game, rendering it unplayable.

Has anyone else had this problem and have they managed to fix it?

Sorry if this problem has been reported elsewhere, but my search of the forum came up dry.

Thanks for the help,

Ironsides -  
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 08:04:51 pm by Alex » Logged
ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 07:51:14 am »

You'll need to detail what sort of system your playing on...

Linux?
Mac?
Windows?
Are you running the game with hardware acceleration off?
Do you have the patches installed?

Whassup Huh
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:29:26 pm by ABoretz » Logged
Isaak_Ironsides
little robot

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:13:05 pm »

Its on PC and I have what I think is the latest patch installed, though this made no difference to the problem.

I'm afraid I don't even know what hardware acceleration or where to find it (PC Game n00b that I am). I've had a poke around on my graphics card settings (ATI Radeon 2400) but can't seem to find anything.

Let me know if there's any thing else you'd need to know,

Thanks for the help,

Ironsides -
ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:38:59 pm »

I don't even know what hardware acceleration or where to find it (PC Game n00b that I am).

Everybody started off not knowing very much about computers.  (actually, it's getting so that we sometimes have to become as savvy as flippin' 'System Administrators' just to sort out those blasted/wonderful contraptions!)   Cheesy

Anyway, turning off hardware acceleration is *much* simpler than messing with your graphics card setting.  All you have to do is:
1. Start the game.
2. Right click anywhere on the screen.
3. Choose settings.
4. Click on the icon in bottom left corner.
5. Make sure the hardware acceleration box is unchecked.

P.S.  These steps are mentioned in the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) at Machinarium.com.  A good rule of thumb is to always look for the FAQ when you're having troubles.   Wink

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 01:17:36 am by ABoretz » Logged
Isaak_Ironsides
little robot

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 11:53:02 pm »

I've turned off hardware acceleration but I still have the problem of only the top left of the screen being visible (the rest of it is hanging off the bottom right.)

I can't  find the options mode (which I've read scrolls up from the bottom of the screen) as nothing scrolls up when I mouse down there. This means I can't fiddle with the full screen options.

I've seen people with similar problems on the forums, but no one seems to have posted a solution.

I was wondering if it was a resolution thing. My monitor runs in 1440X900, so could that be a problem? I've tried running at lower res but the problem persists.

thanks again,

Ironsides -
ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 01:21:34 am »

What model computer do you have?
What version of Windows?
You bought the game online and downloaded it, right?  Would you be willing to take the time to re-download it?  I'm starting to think your install is corrupted and you may have to un- and then re-install the game.  BUT DON'T DO THAT YET!  First, a little more about what system you're running on, please.  :-)

Isaak_Ironsides
little robot

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 09:51:20 pm »

Unfortunately, the first thing I did was uninstall, re-download and then re-install the game and the problem remained.

I actually contacted Amanita Design about this and just got an e-mail back offering me a refund; they said they've heard of this bug before, so it seems to me like they don't have a fix.

Just for posterity, though, my computer is a Dell, with an Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHZ. Also, I'm running Vista 32 Bit.

I may just have to give up, I guess.

Thanks loads, though.

Ironsides-

Grouchomarx
little rusty robot

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 09:53:27 am »

Hello,

I joined this webpage to help out the original poster. I have Windows 7 and had the same hotspot problem too. (I downloaded the game from the website)

Anyway, I don't know VISTA but on Windows 7, the solution was to right-click on the Machinarium short-cut (or exe) and go to 'compatibility mode'

Under this section, turn on 'Disable display scaling on High DPI settings' (the bottom option)

I don't know if this is an option under VISTA but your problem sounds the same as mine, so hopefully it is there. -It was a great game, so it would be a shame not to be able to play it.

I hope that Help,

Jeremy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: