Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:05:40 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Religions of Machinarium  (Read 20017 times)
libcrypt
little rusty robot

« on: January 20, 2010, 06:30:22 am »

Guy in tower = Jewish
Infinity supplicant = Catholic
Pipe crier = Muslim

Yea or nay?
Ulyasha Karp
captain robot

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 09:29:00 pm »

Guy in tower = Jewish
Pipe crier = Muslim

and Karp from forum = anarchyst ??
madeye
captain robot

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 11:09:59 pm »

Guy in tower = Jewish
Pipe crier = Muslim

Yea or nay?
I don't understand the second connection you made. Other two are quite obvious though.
jst65
space invader

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:15:25 am »

Guy in tower = Jewish
Pipe crier = Muslim

Yea or nay?
I don't understand the second connection you made. Other two are quite obvious though.

Also quite obviously we are dealing with the three major monotheistic religions.

BTW I think they didn't want to use the Latin cross (aka Christian cross) since it is an explicit religious symbol, while crescent is not, and the Star of David may be found in other non-religious context. Just my 2 cents
madeye
captain robot

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 03:32:41 pm »

I think that worshipping infinity is something exclusive to machines and it has nothing to do with christianity.
jst65
space invader

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 06:39:27 pm »

Well why not. One can say ifinity = ethernal life (common concept to those three religions btw)
Wrenbot
captain robot

[ '-' ]

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 03:36:49 am »

I think that worshipping infinity is something exclusive to machines and it has nothing to do with christianity.
ohh I love that idea and I hope a future Machinarium game fully explores the wonderful, wonderful "implied" world that Amanita have created.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 01:40:45 pm by Wren » Logged

YAY Samorost 3!!! Now just waiting for Machinarium 2!! ^^
divit
black cap brotherhood member

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 11:24:41 am »

Quite a lot of christians (mainly philosophers) thought that as infinity is inconcievable in the natural universe and we still understand it then infinity must be in God.
So, its slightly more complicated than that but that's the idea.
madeye
captain robot

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 05:00:40 pm »

Well why not. One can say ifinity = ethernal life (common concept to those three religions btw)

The concept of ethernal life is not excusive to Christianity, that's why I think that the symbol means something else.
madeye
captain robot

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 05:03:06 pm »

Quite a lot of christians (mainly philosophers) thought that as infinity is inconcievable in the natural universe and we still understand it then infinity must be in God.
So, its slightly more complicated than that but that's the idea.
Infinity is mainly used as a humbling symbol in theology.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 05:18:17 pm by madeye » Logged
jst65
space invader

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 01:42:17 pm »

The concept of ethernal life is not excusive to Christianity, that's why I think that the symbol means something else.

Thats what I said. My guess was more simple and less philosofical, three symbols/mass schedule, three religions, those major ones we all know.
The symbols themselves may or may not have a meaning (Sun, Moon and a star would fit as well in the game)
Sandy Trunks
captain robot

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 09:21:41 pm »

Infinity is mainly used as a humbling symbol in theology.

Interesting discussion and good point, madeye.  I'm reminded of a great line from the original "Planet Of The Apes" movie.  In the opening moments of the film Charlton Heston's character is travelling in deep space at close to the speed of light and he says: "...seen from out here everything seems different. Time bends. Space is boundless. It squashes a man's ego. I feel lonely."

I always thought that scene was well written.  Given that Heston's character is an atheistic existentialist, what could be more terrifying to such a person than to have their ego "sqwashed" (humbled)?!  It's like that gizmo in The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy called "The Total Perspecive Vortex".  What do you do when you're shown all of infinity with a teeny tiny arrow that says "You are here"?!  (Yikes!!)  Shocked

ModEdit 2013/02: fixed "Planet Of the Apes" dead link
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:16:42 pm by Alex » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: