Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:54:35 am

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Fricken Bird Won't Fall  (Read 30755 times)
BunnyCat
citizen robot

« on: May 17, 2010, 06:43:51 am »

I know this has been posted many, many times...

I've tried EVERY tip possible to get the bird to fall off the wire. I followed all the advice here and in other game forums. Nothing is working.

I'm on an Acer AspireOne netbook with Windows XP, and using a touchpad.

I guess everybody's out of tips, but I really don't want to give up on this game. I was enjoying it until now. Now I've wasted hours of my life solving what should be a fairly simply puzzle. I'm so frustrated that I'm about to pull my hair out.

Is there ANY way to skip past this step? It's clearly a glitch; the developers certainly didn't intend for it to be this challenging.

I'm really ticked off at myself and the devs, since I spent $20 on a game that I can't continue to play. They never indicated that there was an incompatibility for netbooks or touchpads.
ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 06:59:28 am »

Please don't panic BunnyCat.   Smiley
A solution to your problem will be posted here on the forum by the end of this week.

BunnyCat
citizen robot

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 07:07:58 am »

Okay, great. I'll take a break from my glowing rectangle so I don't go bonkers. Cheesy
ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 07:30:48 am »

Cool.  Yeah, so what I had in mind was that I would start the game fresh and then play through to that point - where you have to joggle the bird to snap the wire - and then I intended to save the ".sol" file (which contains the saves) and I would upload that here on the forum.

I'll then include all the "how to" and "there you go" instructions so that you can substitute the upped .sol for your own and then carry on the game from there.

There've been so many complaints about this up to now that it's well worth my making the effort.  So let's see what happens next.   Grin

jst65
space invader

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:38:12 am »

I suggest you to save the game in windowed, 80% mode to avoid resolution issues Smiley
If you run the game with that .sol file it should open in the same video mode as far as I know...
BunnyCat
citizen robot

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 06:23:07 pm »

Thank you so much, ABoretz. That would be a huge help. You'll have to explain where I need to put the .sol file when you upload it-- I'm a teeny bit computer-illiterate.

JST, I can't figure out how to play it in windowed mode on an AspireOne.
jst65
space invader

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 06:55:26 pm »

BunnyCat, my suggestion was for ABoretz not for you Smiley

Playing on netbook usually means other video limitations, not solved yet as far as I know.
See this thread about it:  http://machinarium.net/forum/index.php/topic,1015.0.html .

(BTW you will find that at least another AspireOne user can run the game in windowed mode)
ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 01:06:25 am »

Okay, so a new category, Shared Machinarium .sol Files, has been added where people can post their saved games files for folks like BunnyCat to substitute for their own to get past puzzles that they get stuck on.

Next up some sort of FAQ needs to be written up.  Anyone who wants to can take a crack at that, and if there are several contributors we can always stitch together the best ideas into a single master.  The FAQ should definitely include jst65's description about how to save in 80% windowed mode for use on monitors with minimum resolutions, etc. and it should also get the input of MAC and Linux users about their experiences replacing their .sol files - or if that's even possible (Lamkin?  Nicosmos?  Anybody??)

The .sol files are pretty small, like 33K, so they can just be added as attachments if posters don't have some file hosting access.  Or the FAQ can even include some good file hosting site suggestions.

Hey, I definitely think this project will make a lot of people happy.   Cheesy

BunnyCat
citizen robot

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 03:36:00 am »

Thank you so much! Were you planning to upload a shared .sol file, or will I need to wait for somebody else to volunteer?

I really appreciate your help.
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 06:31:45 am »

I'll volunteer. ;o)
Here's a link to download the file:
http://b6.s3.p.quickshareit.com/files/machinarium08eeb.zip

Hopefully, you already know where to place the file. Let us know if you don't.

And I figured I'd stick the file here first so BunnyCat would be sure to see it. I'll also make a separate topic in the "Shared Machinarium .sol Files" category.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 07:07:37 am by Lamkin » Logged
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 06:40:57 am »

I would be willing to write a how-to for the Mac users who are trying to replace their .sol file. (I already did in another thread, actually.) =op
I'm running OS X 10.4.11, but I doubt the instructions would be any different for Tiger as opposed to Leopard or Snow Leopard...I could be wrong, though. ;o)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:43:24 am by Lamkin » Logged
BunnyCat
citizen robot

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 05:25:49 pm »

Lamkin, thank you soooo much! I'm really grateful.

I can't seem to find where I should place the .sol file. I've looked in all the program files at C:/Program Files/Machinarium, but I don't see any .sol files that I can replace. I'll keep looking. I'm probably overlooking the obvious.
BunnyCat
citizen robot

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 06:52:34 pm »

Meh? I can't find the .sol files anywhere. They're not where they're supposed to be (according to the posts here and on other sites).

When I do a search for .sol files, the only one that comes up is the one I just downloaded.
ABoretz
god of all robots

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 07:01:29 pm »

Meh? I can't find the .sol files anywhere. They're not where they're supposed to be (according to the posts here and on other sites).

When I do a search for .sol files, the only one that comes up is the one I just downloaded.

Hi BunnyCat.  You're almost there (and I can't wait to hear how this works out for you, you're our test case :-)

Go to your desktop, hit F3 (brings up search).  In "More Advanced Options" select "Search hidden files and subfolders".
That ought to do it.

BunnyCat
citizen robot

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 07:08:12 pm »

YAAAAAAAY!!!!!!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

It worked!

Thanks, guys!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: