Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:19:50 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: piracy  (Read 44549 times)
leanne
captain robot

« on: October 18, 2009, 02:49:17 am »

i wonder what is that: **URL removed by moderator**

i didn't want to enter my phone number, but besides that i don't think it asks money and sends it to amanita design?

anyway i guess the piracy tries to have a go
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 07:19:38 am by ABoretz » Logged
Ian
citizen robot

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 03:14:13 am »

Would be nice if you removed the link - not nice adding pirate links to the game forum

Spread the Word NOT the Game
lostblues
little robot

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 03:39:00 am »

Yeah it's a pirated copy. Not sure why you posted this, there's tonnes of links to pirated versions all over the net. That just means there's lots of interest in the game, which is a good thing. I think people who are really interested in supporting the dev and the ideology/spirit behind the game will buy it.
Steedus
noble citizen robot

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 03:48:21 am »

Just a note to the developers, I bought the steam version and just realised I can just copy/paste the game folder on any computer and it will work. Maybe this is normal or unavoidable due to the flash based nature of the game, but some sort of protection for your software might be wise next time.

But don't worry, I won't be passing it on to anyone illegally!
Ian
citizen robot

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 04:10:16 am »

Yeah it's a pirated copy. Not sure why you posted this, there's tonnes of links to pirated versions all over the net. That just means there's lots of interest in the game, which is a good thing. I think people who are really interested in supporting the dev and the ideology/spirit behind the game will buy it.

Pirates Don't buy games - they just steal it cos it's there for free for them - getting it free does not mean they will pay for it , EVER.

Spread the Word NOT the Game
TyphoonSwell
little rusty robot

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 04:35:39 am »

I've pirated games before. I was just about to pirate this one but.... I just couldn't! I love Samorost 1 and 2... I love the art style of all of their stuff.

So I'll just have to wait a little and buy the game... Damn this heart that I have!
lostblues
little robot

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 05:12:20 am »

Pirates Don't buy games - they just steal it cos it's there for free for them - getting it free does not mean they will pay for it , EVER.

read my post again
james
citizen robot

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 07:08:33 am »

No matter how you do things, people are going to pirate. It's almost impossible to make a game that can't be pirated. The only way to do it is to make a game no one wants.
leanne
captain robot

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 02:48:53 pm »

yes, i see i have been dumb as a bucket :S the reason i posted this was, that i wasn't sure is it piracy or not and i thought maybe somebody could do something with it.. it was posted to the community of machinarium i started in orkut.com.. sry sry  Embarrassed
Genjin
citizen robot

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 02:52:53 pm »

No matter how you do things, people are going to pirate. It's almost impossible to make a game that can't be pirated. The only way to do it is to make a game no one wants.
Or a game, that nobody can run Wink *hint to overuse of copy protections that cause problems*

I'm happy Machinarium is DRM Free. It's a double bladed sword, Piracy both can help and destroy at the same time. But in case of Machinarium I think they will be financially happy despite Piracy Smiley
tblrsa
noble citizen robot

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 03:27:43 pm »

Piracy will always occur, so its nice from the developer if the product is DRM free, as its the case with Machinarium. Also, DRM usually limits the available Plattforms a Game can run on.
ivi
captain robot

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 05:51:35 am »

I'm going to play the devil's advocate on this one. Piracy is not as bad as the media corporations want you to think. In fact I think it actually helps getting the word around, which is especially the case for not-so-mainstream stuff like Amanita Design games. Those who buy things, will buy them, it doesn't matter if they can steal them; and those who don't buy things - won't. But a good product can turn the latter kind of people into that first kind. And studies with music have in fact shown that those who download more buy more than those who don't download.

I'll come clear and admit that I downloaded a pirated version of Samorost 2 several years ago. I had played the demo, but it didn't quite allure me enough to open my wallet straight away. Some months later I saw the full version on some file sharing website, remembered quite liking the demo and downloaded it. Long story short - now I own everything from Amanita Design, and have even managed to turn some of my friends onto their stuff.

One thing should be self evident - you can't stop piracy, unless you shut down the internet. That would probably be the ultimate dream-come-true for the media corporations, but let me break the news for you - it ain't gonna happen. Learn to live with it, and try to get the best out of it. Kinda like what Radiohead did with In Rainbows. Think of it as a powerful marketing tool. I'm sure Machinarium will both sell well and pirate well, but I have reasons to think it will actually sell better now than if it had never leaked onto file sharing websites. At least I definitely hope so Smiley

Oh, well, just wanted to add my opinion to this thread. Feel free to eat me raw Grin
Monko
noble citizen robot

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 11:07:54 am »

Piracy is not very bad thing for big companies, like f***ng EA Games or Rockstar.
Besides, I think to steal a game from this companies isn't a big sin  Grin , just because theirs games are without any soul and theirs workers will earn money anyway.
liroy
little robot

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 09:23:03 pm »

Wrong.  If it wasn't for piracy, I would have never heard of this game, I would have never created this account, and I would have never purchased this game.  I paid for this to show my appreciation for an amazing game, artistically, musically, and overall gameplay wise.  I also appreciate the benefit of the doubt by releasing it DRM free. 

There is always a message in pirated software... "If you like it, buy it, support the developers."

Piracy just got Amanita Design an extra customer.
Frogacuda
little robot

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 10:42:10 pm »

Piracy is not very bad thing for big companies, like f***ng EA Games or Rockstar.
Besides, I think to steal a game from this companies isn't a big sin  Grin , just because theirs games are without any soul and theirs workers will earn money anyway.
This is a complete misconception. It might be true to an extent if that game happens to be GTA4, but the retail game industry is actually in a lot of trouble right now, because it costs them about $40 per unit to put a game on the shelves, and these games have budgets of $50-100 million, so you do the math on how many they have to sell to be profitable.

The fact is, MOST big games in the industry are not profitable right now, and if you actually like playing games with high production value, you and everyone else better start paying for them, because if you don't they're going to start making less and less of them.

It's the same problem hollywood is facing right now. It's such a huge investment, the only movies the studios want to make are remakes, sequels, and licensed movies like comic book stuff -- stuff that has a built in audience. They won't take chances on anything else because the risk factors are too dependent on quality. I don't think we want to see the game industry go this route.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: